Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the USA-1 in my 66 conv with the special kickpanels with 6 1/2" (?) speakers and the sound sucks. I want to change the speakers and system (with CD) without going overboard. Any suggestions for new front speakers which will fit the kickpanels and a new cd/amp config? Am not looking at back speakers because of conver, any luck with subwoofer in trunk? I went to some shop which customizes Stangs and got a quote for $2000.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a '69 Convertible and I used a USA-5 headunit (still not working right---the CD input to the headunit is cutting out the right channel only in CD mode...what really sucks is having to remove the unit 3x...once to have them supposedly fix it and then reinstall and now to have to remove again and reinstall a NEW unit...gezz!) enough of the rant...

I use 6x9 Polk 3way speakers in speaker boxes (avail from Crutchfield) I really like the sound and the speaker boxes removeable so you can place them in the truck or remove them if your at a show if you want to. There is no cutting. I have two 3.5" speakers mounted below the dash (since no one is making the kick panel yet for the '69-70 stangs) and a center full range speaker(available from Custom Auto Sound) in the dash. I would rather have a stereo setup in there but this speaker can handle alot more power..so I may leave it in for now. I hope this helps.....I really want this stereo installation to come to an end....been doing this forever it seems. Good luck with your project.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Good luck trying to find decent speakers to fit in the "speaker kick panels" with no mods. I finally gave up and will come back to them later. I have brand new set of kick panels for my '66 with the speaker mounts, but as many of the repro parts go ... it's a good idea, but bad execution. I've found no decent speakers shallow enough to fit in them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You might want to try one of the Kenwood or JVC units that Custom Autosound converts. They might give you better sound but I doubt it. I just use the USA-01 with my setup and it sounds good.

I do not know of any good speakers that will fit the kick panels. Your best bet is to measure the space that you have. Then go to Crutchfield.com and see what seakers have the same depth. Then get the model numbers and go to your local store and try them out.

As for the sub in the trunk try a tube sub like Bazooka or similar.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a 65 convertible. left the original radio in the dash. put a Kenwood KAC-749S 500 amp in the trunk; Kenwood KDC-2019 6 pak cd changer in the trunk; Kenwood KDC-2019V(receiver; tuner cd receiver) in the glove compartment; Kenwood Exeleon speakers in the rear seat convertible kick panel just above the rear seats; the other speaker a Kenwood KFC-W2003G in the original speaker spot under the dash. Bad news the trunk and glove compartment have essentially no space, and I must leave the glove compartment door open if I wish to use the remote. Good news sounds good. could take some pictures to send you if interested. thanx doug

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Its amazing how the mustang seems to fight the addition of quality sound. I still have a good half day to go on installing my system.

I chose kicker "K-Series". They have pretty bold speaker grills that fits my resto-mod plans. The 6 1/2 kick panel speakers are component speakers so they have a separate tweeter and a crossover. The kick panels only had 1 3/4 inch behind it but with the help of a hammer you can get 2". The backs are 6x9" tri-axles. I'm mounting them on the side panel below the ash tray. I'm going to have to shorten the ash tray or something because it is too deep and will hit the speaker. They are rated at 75 watts RMS, with 150 peak. The Amp is an alpine 5 way so it can drive the 4 speakers at 75 watts per speaker and 180 watts for a sub woofer. I'm mounting the amp, crossovers and cd changer in the trunk. I'm planning to make an enclosure that mounts in the spare tire to save room in the trunk.The weak part of the system is i got one of those stereos with cd changer control that has the knobs to look like an old time stereo.

The speakers and the amp weighed 40 pounds to ship. My biggest fear now is the speakers will tear the enclosures apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts