Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing very mild build 351w roller with gt40s. HO mustang cam with 1.7 rr. .479 calculated lift. Ford tech said gt40 springs are not sufficient. Suggested 110 lb closed pressure. 265 open for this application or thereabouts, Found some springs that match those ratings almost exactly. Known quality brand. This is only about 20% more than stock but is this too much pressure for stock retainers? Not a screamer, maybe an occasional 6k rpm. If not, Alex's stuff known to be American made, or at least quality?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just check your installed height and for binding with the stock retainers. It seems I recall something being said about the stock retainers on these heads being extra thick? Do you have GT-40s or GT-40p (explorer heads) Seems it was on the explorer heads. I would be sure to turn it over by hand after assembly to watch for coil bind.

Corralnet might be a good place to search as they have a whole stickied thread pertaining to the GT-40p heads.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’ve heard good things about Alex’s parts.

I would make sure he knows information about your cam and cylinder head combo.

If in doubt, ask questions so you’re not frustrated later because of parts supplied based on insufficient/incorrect information.

Only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

Gotta love “dad sayings”! 😁

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 2nd 66 for your input. Cheapbastard, ummm, me too. Ha ha. Already checked, good. 1.7 only give an additional. 030 lift. Good call on your advice though, that failure could lead to serious problems! Nos681, thank you for your input. I have also
heard there stuff "looks good" but haven't heard anyone offer long term experience. Also skeptical if not made in usa, which i don't know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts