Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may in the near future (next coupla weeks) have the opportunity to buy an unmmolested 89 LX with a 5.0 for CHEAP. T-5 and disc brakes. If I grabbed the trannie, brakes and rear (if trac lock or has a better gearing than my 2.8), how easily would I be able to part the rest? body, (little rust) good interior and 90k 5.0 stock. Could I use the EFI to generate better throttle response?

I know there's a lot of q's, but any direction will help. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well, the rear end won't be much good, but the engine and tranny are good. The 8.8 is gonna be kinda tough to make fit. I've seen it done, but you're way better off with an 8 or 9 inch rear.

Make sur eyou get everything from the motor! Wiring, ECU, EVERYTHING!

-M

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Why would you consider parting out a perfectly good Fox Body V8 car? There is a huge market for those cars, particularly unmolested 5 speeds.

I'd buy the car, resell it for a nice profit and invest the proceeds in a crate motor and new T5.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The rearend and the disc brakes won't fit. You could pull the motor and tranny and dump them into the classic. Then sell the fox body. The 5.0 is a roller block and since it is an 89 it is Mass air car which are super easy to add performance upgrades. A couple of the main things you will need are a conversion harness, conversion tranny crossmember, electric fuel pump in conjunction with fuel return line and a different radiator. Then you will have a "New Classic Mustang" with crisp throttle response and better mileage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I guess I should have said that that's an option too. I hate to see Mustangs get parted when they are perfectly good--but I have no use for it. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts