Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Have a 66 convertible that finally got on the road this year after 5-6 years of rebuilding, restoring, gussying up, and competing with the Spitfire for time. Still needs the trim and top, but that's what the winter is for. Has a replacement 200 (out of a Maverick with a Carter YF) and a Ford 3 speed (Toploader) which I've grown to love. Earlier this summer I bought Procar by Scat seats to replace the original seats. Bought them un-upholstered since Procar doesn't have blue seat covers. Mistake. The Procar cushions aren't cut to the same measurements as the OEM cushions or any common covers, and to be honest, I'm not happy with the seats for a variety of reasons. So...I want to reinstall the OEM seats. I'll get replacement spring beds and TMI foam (I already have covers.) Is there anything anyone has done to better secure the seatbacks, or otherwise make them safer? I am going to install the Procar headrests, and try to do a shoulder belt too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Nice cars!
The 68-up seat backs have a catch. I started pondering a catch kind of like the hood pin that would work on the 65-67 cars. Some owners have swapped the seats for 68 plus headrest, 69-70 or later high-backs, Fox Body, SN-95, Recaro, TMI Sport or Sport II, even Acura, Honda, BMW and Pontiac Fiero seats. Depends on your tastes. The Ford ones are easily adapted to the original tracks. The TMI are built especially for the early Mustang and offer off-the-shelf upholstery like the original standard or Deluxe upholstery. There are tons of threads with even more pictures on this topic. It's all about what you'd like. If I were to change mine, I want them to look like the original upholstery but have the benefit of some side bolster, maybe adjustable headrests, and definitely recline for the wife. It's really easy to add heated seats as well. You can get as bare-bones or as ostentatious as you'd like.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Two of my favorite cars from the time. Very nice.
Oh, and everything @myfirstcar66 said. My '68 does not have headrest, they were an option, and IIRC in '69 the standard seats were low back with headrests.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
All,

Have a 66 convertible that finally got on the road this year after 5-6 years of rebuilding, restoring, gussying up, and competing with the Spitfire for time. Still needs the trim and top, but that's what the winter is for. Has a replacement 200 (out of a Maverick with a Carter YF) and a Ford 3 speed (Toploader) which I've grown to love. Earlier this summer I bought Procar by Scat seats to replace the original seats. Bought them un-upholstered since Procar doesn't have blue seat covers. Mistake. The Procar cushions aren't cut to the same measurements as the OEM cushions or any common covers, and to be honest, I'm not happy with the seats for a variety of reasons. So...I want to reinstall the OEM seats. I'll get replacement spring beds and TMI foam (I already have covers.) Is there anything anyone has done to better secure the seatbacks, or otherwise make them safer? I am going to install the Procar headrests, and try to do a shoulder belt too.
Why exactly do you think the seats aren't safe without a lock? You are in MUCH more danger from smashing into the steering wheel or dash from lack of 3 point belts than you are from the little bit of extra weight from the seat backs. If safety is your focus, install 3 point belts(and headrests)...then you dont have to worry about locking seats because the seat belt holds them in place too. If you are doing all that though, you might as well change the seats entirely....I suggest Fiero seats if you are looking for a seat with a headrest....at least there is a guy who reupholsters them to better match the original upholstery...they are locking headrest seats that wont lose you legroom. Regardless, if you are adding headrests, the seats wont look anything close to factory...so I wouldnt bother modifying the original seats, just swap them out

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
I second the 3-point seat belts. Headrests or Hi-backs are best for a rear collision. A seat lock isn't a bad idea per se. Some ppl just want more comfy seats with side bolsters and maybe recline I guess. There are aftermarket headrests that are adaptable to the original seats, too, that don't look goofy or gaudy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts