Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to be upgrading my rear end some time in the next 6 months, and wanted to get your guys' opinion.

I would love to go IRS, but i think it costs to much money. I don't want spend more than about $5,500 for the rear axle with LSD, brakes, and coils.

The rest of car is going to have a T56, powered by a 351w (paxton supercharged). This is mostly going to be a circuit track car/weekend warrior, and not going to much drag time.

I was thinking about going with TCP, but wanted to know which rear end is better?

Number 1:
Total Control Products

or

Number 2:
Total Control Products

Thanks!

P.S.

Cost of TCP rear end

TCP g-Link Billet Pivot Ball Suspension $2,339
g-Bar Direct Fit Fab9 Housing $1,089
Strange Pro Iron Case, 3.25 Gears, Trutrac $1,400
Splined-End Tubular Antisway Bar 5806-M10 $459
VariShock QuickSet 2 Coilover Shocks Upgrade $200
Subtotal $5,487

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
DVS Restorations for $1600 swap kit plus a $500 local Cobra IRS dropout you could install IRS under your car. Or skip the kit and do it yourself. I did it, but looking back I could have saved a lot of time with Dave's kit. It is well priced for what you have in the end. It's well within your $5500 budget. You'd still have enough left over to do a T56 swap or a supercharger swap or both.

My T56, IRS and Supercharger budget including my free labor:
(shop around for best prices; ebay, craigslist)
99 Cobra IRS $400
8.8 Detroit locker 31 spline $400
take off 31 spline 03 Cobra half shafts $250
FMS 3.73 gears $50
Eibach springs $100
Rear spring perches $40
Steel braided rear brake lines $100
04 Viper T56 $1275
trans crossmember (I moddified to fit) $50
polyurethane trans mount $30
conversion bellhousing $450
hydraulic throwout bearing $250
clutch master cylinder $50
Custom driveshaft $250
Custom shifter $50
Vortech supercharger head unit $600
Used vortech mounting brackets $100
DIY blow through carb conversion link $50
Airflow Research carb hat new $180
Aeromotive fuel pump A1001 $300
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator $180
1/2 aluminum fuel line $40
AN- fittings $200
add nuts and bolts say $100 to cover good grade 8 stuff and fluids, fasteners etc.
---------------------------------------
Total $5470

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't even think about the Cobra IRS kit! :shocked:

Do you have any more details on this? Which kit i should get, where i can get one.

Also, does it require any welding, or is strictly bolt on?

·
Registered
987 Posts
DVS Restorations should be able to get you 100% of what you need. Shipping on the Cobra IRS will be pricey, though. It would be better if you can find one locally. If I recall, installing the Cobra IRS requires some minor notching of the rear frame rail.

Dave is an active member of this forum and is a really nice guy. He always seems willing to answer questions.

Here's a direct link to his IRS install page:
IRS For Vintage Mustangs

If you are really into do-it-yourself, you can check out DazeCars' website. He took the IRS from an older Jaguar (early 70's, I think) and installed it in his Mustang. LOTS of fabrication, though.

M/C

EDIT: Forgot to include Daze's link: http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/dazecars.html

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Dave offered help many times during my IRS swap, even though I was doing it on my own and not spending my money at DVS Restorations. Really, if anyone is reading this and thinking $1600 is a lot of money just for brackets and shocks, it really is worth it. I spent weeks under my car. Anyone that knows me, knows I'll put 8 hours in the office and go home and slam 10-12 hours in the garage.
I was tearing the IRS down to the cradle multiple times, lining it up under the car, measuring, putting it back together, measuring again, checking clearances etc. Take my word for it, call Dave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts