Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i went on a road trip with the stang this weekend, i noticed that only on the uphills it would sputter causing me to slow down. i also checked my mpg and it is at 10.94. that isnt good when i only have a 2V carb. I was also doing the speed limit at 75mph. help!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first thing I would do is to check your fuel pressure. You may be losing your pump.

http://usn.tripod.com/mustang.GIF

"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information."-The man with no name

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If it only sputters on the uphill going, I would check and or change the fuel filter..Not as bad on the older cars but on the newer cars the filter is above the rear axle. the outlet is at the back of the filter, as soon as you start up hill all the water and dirt plugs the outlet. My dad had one like that, ran perfect on flat ground but wouldn't even make it up a hill..
Sorry for the rambling...But check the filter, blow it out if you like but clean it or replace it.

D .G.Cudmore

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Almost certainly electrical as 70 coupe points out. It could be plugs, wires, points OR coil.

A weak spark will cause the exact situation you describe.

Good luck.

Doug-"Whether you think you can or think you cannot.....you're right!!" INDY-USA. GT/CS w/289-2v,PDB,A/C,PS,candyapple red,black top and interior,pertronix,chromeSS Wheels w/ GT centers, 215x14 BFG radial T/A's 3.55:1 open and KYB's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts