Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there that can suggest any book or tips on re-doing upholstry. Have just got my palomino interior for my 65 Project and having spring fever to get more done.

1969 Coupe
1965 Fastback (Project)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If there is a Barnes and Noble or Borders book store around you you can go in and read some and see which is the best.
My book was just the standard restoration guide and was sufficent. 65 seats are easy, try doing '70 high backs!
What is a Palimino upholstery kit?

John
Can you smellllllllalalalala........?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589508&a=12100931&p=43885808.jpg
66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore
70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
65/66 upholstry is pretty easy, but does takes some patience and a few tricks. I assume youve got the Distinctive or TMI upholstry? There's LOTS of info on the old VMF forum on this, do a search on "Upholstry" and read up.You'll probably get more from that than any book. Here's a couple tricks I learned the hard way:

- Heat up the upholstry before installation, like over a heater vent or something. Makes it MUCH easier to stretch over the frame/foam

- Use a soldering iron to burn the holes into the upholstry for hinge pins. Makes stronger, cleaner holes

- Order more hog rings than you think you'll need.Several places offer kits that include hog ring pliers and supposedly enough rings for complete installation. You'll screw up a few rings and run out, order extras!

- Be sure to retrieve all the wire pieces in the seams of the old upholstry for use with the new. If you lose some, or it's too mangled to use, you can make these pieces with a coat hanger

Other than that, just pay close attention to how the old upholstry comes off, and you shouldn't have too much trouble putting the new on. This is, in my opinion, one of the more gratifying do-it-yourself projects. Good luck!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

G

·
0 Posts
yes, definitely search the old forum and ye shall learn all the secrets!
...but a couple more
buy the good(expensive) hog ring pliers-avoid the cheapies, your hands will thank you.

after installing upholstery, use a heat gun/hair dryer to shrink out any minor wrinkles you may have made. it works

good luck
mike o

[color:blue]'65 wimbledon white original coupe I6
'99 silver convertible V6

Check out Mike & Jackie's '65 Mustang </font color=blue>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts