Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to work on my shock tower (69 Mach) and need to undo the 2 upper A arm nuts on the tower and move it away from the tower. Will the arm move enough to pull the studs/bolts out of the tower and swing it out of the way without undoing the ball joint? If I have to undo the joint, I've heard you can pop it apart with hammer blows without using a pickle fork. What was the trick to doing this? Don't want to damage the rubber boot with the fork. Hopefully I won't have to undo it. Thanks.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can tell you they will on a '66 Mustang as I had to do what you describe to do the Shelby upper A-arm lowering modification.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Assuming the car is in the air and the shock & spring removed there may be enough play to remove the upper arm and let it hang by the ball joint. If you remove the tie-rod end from the spindle you'll gain even more play.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Just a FYI you turn the casle nut upside down and screw it upside down till its fush with the stud. They use a decent size hammer and give it a decent hit(not too hard) do a couple till it gives. Don't repeatedly hit it if it wont come loose.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
M&F did an article on this very subject a couple months back.

Once everything is disconnected and you'r ready to seperate things, you give the knuckle a good hard smack with a BFH (as many as it takes)and the will seperate. Don't go smacking on the threaded stuff, or castle nuts trying to drive them through the joint or you'll find yourself buying more parts than you planned.

The idea is to "Shock" the joint apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts