Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to rebuild the front end on my '66 coupe and need some advice on the upper arms. I can replace them for a hundred bucks apiece or rebuild them with new ball joints and shaft kit for half that. It's my daily driver so I'd rather not have to disassemble it to find out if the upper arms are rebuildable. Any thoughts on which way to go on this?

thanks,
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was in the process of rebuilding mine when the center shaft stripped out of the upper control arm because it was so rusted, it just welded them together. so i had to order a frame - since i already had the baljoint and the center shaft. and i had to wait about a week or two before i could drive it since it is also my daily driver. u may just want to get new ones if they are rusted too bad. if not then u probaly wont have any trouble.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy new ones. Not worth the trouble to rebuild plus you have new metal parts that have not been fatigued with god only knows how much abuse.

1970 Mach 1, soon to be finished, 351 4V, Calypso Coral, top loader

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Dont bother to rebuild them.Like the last poster said.After 35 yrs the metal flatigue,and rust those pieces are not worth the rebuild.And DONT pay anybody 100.00 for a repro control arm.Email me or call 1 850 857 1084 and ask for Matt at Ponderosa Mustang.I will save you a bucket of bucks on the same parts.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's not worth the hassle. By the time I had disassembled the old ones, including carefully drilling out the old rivtes, I had over 4 hour time into my upper A-arm rebuild. As you already know, it saved me less than $50. Which meant my time was worth less than $12/hour ... I normally get paid over 3 times that *LOL*. It's not worth the hassle for $50 ... replace them.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering the same thing, and now I'm convinced to just replace them. I agree w/Matt-$100 bucks a pop is a lot.
Most vendors have them for less(unless they're genuine Ford, of course.)

Was Bob Emmerich on old forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts