Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the car inspected and I was told that the ball joints are bad and that I should probably replace the upper control arms as well. My question is, what are the differences in all of the available non tubular style arms? Will some allow better wheel clearance? I'm going to finally do the Shelby drop as well. I just don't think I can justify the tubular arms, so having as much information on the others would be great.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Most OE replacement upper control arms are dimensionally identical to the originals. My recommendation would be MOOG although I have Dorman's, of which they offer a "standard" and a "premium" grade (don't know the difference... I have the "standard" grade 'cause that's all they made back in 2014... and they're fine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got blueprinted UCAs from Opentracker

they make sure the shafts are centered in the arms and locked there, and come with 90* grease fittings already installed. Maybe its not rocket science but it was stuff I was unwilling or unable to do for myself.

I also got my Arning drop template from them and I was able to install my UCA by drilling up to 1/2 inch instead of 17/32 inches. Another quality piece.

Gregg

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
for the most part all stock type upper arms are the same. some "blueprint" the arms to get them as close to factory design specs as possible. opentracker sells some modified arms that changes the ball joint angle so that you can go even lower than the shelby drop, up to 1 1/2 inches in fact.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have standard replacements. They seem durable and well made.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Most places that inspect your upper control arms wouldn't have a clue how much ball joint play is allowed. Look in your copy of the shop manual.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
51 Posts
I bought open tracker. I wish I would have bought global west though. They have better adjustment for camber that helps with alignment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts