Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grease fittings on my new, 67 reproduction Canadian Mustang upper control arms rub on the shock towers. I gave them another turn but they still rub.

I noticed my originals did not have the grease fitting...there are tiny bolts in the ends where the grease fitting would be. I guess I could try putting these tiny bolts in place of the grease fitting...but I would lose the benefit of the grease fitting.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this situation?

Thanks.

wjj

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sometimes you have to remove the control arm mounting bolts and turn the shaft a 1/2 rotation or more to get them to fit in the center of shock tower. There are also different types of fittings that take up less space. I have always got them to fit. Sometimes with a big hammer. Never had to cut holes in shock towers. Before you mount them loosen the grease fitting a couple of turns and regrease them. When you loosen them it will let some air out then some grease will come out but they will be full. If you don't let the air bleed off you could blow out the O ring seals. Don't ask me how I know this. Gary

·
Registered
560 Posts
Same problem a few weeks ago when I did my 68. I used the BFH approach. There was no other way to do it. My shock towers were cut out orignially, but the PO had them repaired.

G

·
For a long time I just ground down the fittings so they would fit in there. I destroyed a few doing this.

When I did my suspention I put in the improved 2 part units with the extensions that the mustang catalogs sell. It makes life much easier.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
had the same situation on my '68 with Canadian Mustang install. PO had cut holes so i just put straight ones back in.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hey guy.......

I got the low profile style elbows from Mustangs ULTD and they hug the upper control arm quite well.....and still have enough room to fit the grease gun.....

THe benefit is that your upper arm won't sieze and your suspension won't flex your shock tower to dampen bumps

don't cut holes into your towers.....it looks Donkey and will diminish value of your car.

get those lo pro, long elbows and you will be happy!!!

I think NPD has em too!!!

regards

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, Gary

I tried to remove the control arm mounting bolts but they won't budge.

Did you hvae problems removing them?

Thanks.

wjj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts