Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. so i spent all of saturday trying to get that damn upper control arm off.. i removed the two bolts from the engine bay. compressed the springs. BUT THE THING WON't move. From the service manual its suppose to move pretty freely from the upper ball joint. Am i doing something wrong here? should i also remove the upper ball joint? I tried that but the spindle moves when i put pressure on it to remove the bolt. I am really stuck right now. totally frustrating. Plus it was the first time i saw the suspension connections. They have about an inch of dirt on all of them.. I gueess the previous owner never bothered to change the upper control arms in the last 30 years :: Any help would be great guys. thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I gueess the previous owner never bothered to change the upper control arms in the last 30 years
Not uncommon at all.

Yes, to get the upper A-arm off, you must pop the ball joint out of the spindle. Use a pickle fork or ball joint separator (Autozone will loan them to you for free). You'll will likely have to temporarily put the upper a-arm bushing arm bolts back in to get the ball joint seperated.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
One more thing, the strut rod, if the rubber bushings are still in half way decent shape, will exert some force on the spindle so when you separate the upper ball joint from the spindle, you still may have to push down on the lower control arm to release it. I highly recommend complete removal of the spring - wouldn't want to have it break fee!

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts