Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upper control arm has been removed - how do I remove the bushing cap without stripping the threads?

I've heard a 'spacer' is needed when installing the new bushings... do I need this?

If so - how is it set up?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
By bushing cap I reckon your speaking about the two "A" arm pivot shaft caps. A long break handle and a vice, or the crook of a tree if a vice is not around is suitable to hold the arm while loosening the old caps or installing the new ones. The threads are very fine and shallow and may appear to be stripped but in all likelyhood are not. Never-the-less, inspect closely for obvious damage.

There are no bushings on the upper arm. The shaft typically comes as an assembly with new hex caps which also include new 'o' ring seals. Be sure to pack the hex nuts w/grease and when reassembling. Keep the shaft centered in relation to the a-arm during reassembly also. You may want to drill the caps and install grease zerks for periodic lube.

For reference, look at your old unit closely before taking it apart.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Its been a while, but believe there is a method to removing and installing the "caps" that may prevent stripping the fine threads between the cap and control arm. The control arm shaft has large, coarse threads that match threads inside the end caps. As you turn the shaft, the shaft will move back and forth (obviously changing its position) in relation to the caps through the threading action of the course threads. It seems to me that if you just start unscrewing an end cap (located by the fine threads), the interaction between the two threads will cause some kind of binding to occur. When this happens the fine threads will disintegrate as they are no match for the strength of coarse ones. So. I would think that you have to turn the shaft as you turn off the end cap so as to alleviate any thread bind when it occurs. This would also apply when reinstalling the end caps. Perhaps both caps may have to be removed at the same time to provide the necessary shaft movement when required. Anyway, that's my take on this operation while pondering the destruction of the fine threads in my original control arms and then wiping them out of my brand new Canadian Mustangs pieces too (by just trying to remove/install the caps without considering the interaction of the shaft threads).

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If you get TRW kits, they come with new shaft, end pieces, dzerks, etc. The key thing when removing is to turn the ends equally. When installing a little bit on one end followed by a little bit on the other. The idea is to finish up with the shaft bolts properly centered between the "A" arm pivots (equal spacing on both sides). If you don't wind up with equal spacing, start over...reason...caster is impacted by off center installations as is spring movement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts