Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this one is really bugging me. I am in the middle of building my 1968 Trans Am race car to “as delivered in 1968 specs”. And I’m in need of a set of 4 bolt ball joint upper control arms. For the life of me I cannot find a reproduction one that has four bolt it seems like everything has three bolts. Makes zero sense does anybody else have a reason to why? Also if anybody has a set they would like to sell me that would be great

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,328 Posts
Have you considered replacing the ball joints and rebuilding your control arms by replacing the bushings? The 4 bolt ball joints are available as are control arm bushings.

Will 65/66 Uppers work with a 68? The UCAs on my 64.5 D Code and my Wife's 65 Vert have 4 bolt ball joints in the UCAs and the entire UCA with 4 bolt ball joints are available.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
4 bolt was used in 67-69. The three bolt came in 70. No the early arms won’t work. I think they used to repop the arms, not sure if they’re still available.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

here ya go. Although I think if I was building a trans am racer I’d be tempted to go with a tubular setup from Street or Track......

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,328 Posts

here ya go. Although I think if I was building a trans am racer I’d be tempted to go with a tubular setup from Street or Track......
I wonder spec wise how this UCA compares to the 64-66 4 bolt ball joint UCA?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah I found those but that is ridiculous. I’m waiting to hear back from John at open tracker but it looks like even he has the three bolt ones.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

According to the rules it has to be built using original part types and methods. From 67 to 69 they used 4 bolt arms and then all the reproductions after were three bolt.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you considered replacing the ball joints and rebuilding your control arms by replacing the bushings? The 4 bolt ball joints are available as are control arm bushings.

Will 65/66 Uppers work with a 68? The UCAs on my 64.5 D Code and my Wife's 65 Vert have 4 bolt ball joints in the UCAs and the entire UCA with 4 bolt ball joints are available.

When I got my car it had been upgraded with tubular control arms already. So I don’t even have the originals. So now I’m stripping down all the junk the previous owner put on it to put it back to how it was.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,328 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are certainly less expensive than $272 each and you can buy the Moog ball joints and bushings on Rockauto.
I’m with you. I saw those but the price seems outrageous compared to the 3 bolt.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I’m with you. I saw those but the price seems outrageous compared to the 3 bolt.
I'm not sure what other options you'd have? Maybe finding some originals at a junkyard, eBay or Craigslist? It sucks spending $300 for the pair but that's definitely better than spending over $500 for the pair. Maybe someone on here has some used ones they'd sell you?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure what other options you'd have? Maybe finding some originals at a junkyard, eBay or Craigslist? It sucks spending $300 for the pair but that's definitely better than spending over $500 for the pair. Maybe someone on here has some used ones they'd sell you?
Yeah I’m hoping someone on here has a set they can sell me. Because I’m going to modify them anyway so they don’t have to be like super clean.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
The problem you can encounter with used UCA is often the bushing threads in the arm get stripped. You can still rebuild the arms by putting in new bushings and ball joint, but you'd have to put a few weld tacks on the bushing if the arm threads are stripped.

Reactions: BlueGhost93

·
Registered
492 Posts
Look at 1) Meirer Racing's catalog, or 2) Cobra Automotive's.
Maier Racing has the 4 bolt style on their website but it appears to be a generic picture of the 1965-1966 style UCA. When you select 1967-1968 for the year it still shows the same picture. CA also has them on their site but they're all north of $500 for the pair, if not more.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts