Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 69 coupe in pretty decent mechanical shape with the exception of the suspension, steering, and brakes.
I've been getting a bunch of great info on this site with regard to suspension work, vendors, manufacturers, etc.
One question I have is how do you know if the UCA's should be replaced or rebuilt. Obviously new is probably better but since I'm on tight budget and need to strrretch the dollars but get decent performance I'd rather rebuild where I can and replace where necessary.
By the way if anyone has an opinion on whether I should remove all the components(steering, suspension, brakes)
before ordering parts I'd appreciate any first hand knowledge(wisdom!!!) any of you has acquired!!
Thanks
P.S. I have a lot of mechanical ability but very limited knowledge of classic mustangs!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Money saved on rebuilding control arms will be spent on aggravation trying to get the old ones completed properly. Not only do rubber bushings need to be replaced but the mounting shaft often needs replacement as well. Not to mention the ball joints.
It's not exactly a piece of cake.

Add up the $$ in parts needed, throw in your time for labor and compare that to new replacements. It's probably less savings than you think.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You are better off buying a kit, if you can budget this. Everything is together and they give you a better deal.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well, I had to rebuild my new repro arms with less than 1000 miles on them. I dont like to think about what THAT cost.. :puke:
I could have had a nice set of Cobra Automotives for what I have in these :( (almost)

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Well, I had to rebuild my new repro arms with less than 1000 miles on them. I dont like to think about what THAT cost.. :puke:
I could have had a nice set of Cobra Automotives for what I have in these :( (almost)
Not to insult your intelligence, but did you remember to grease both bushings and the ball joint? Exactly how did you determine that you needed to rebuild them again with that low of miles? Thats not even enough miles to get them dirty :joker: I'd be calling the company that you bought them from and raise some hell.

Here is a cheap set on ebay. For that price the rebuild kit would be the same. Yes they are a PAIN to rebuild yourself and is much better to buy the whole arm than to rebuild yourself.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes I did grease them when I installed them, and several times afterward. They were just not very good quality threads and bound causing a horrible creaking noise in the front end.
I took them apart and found the threads were galled, so I got another set of shafts and bushings and found the workmanship much better. I guess my point is, even if I were to get complete ones in the future I would disassemble them and make sure I wasn't wasting my time installing them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys for all the great info. With all due respect after looking at the link posted by birdguy3 I think I'll just replace the UCA's!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
One piece of advise. Don't cheap when it comes to steering, supendsion, and brakes. Your life and your family are worth more than cheap parts.Just my $.02 Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts