Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found the ultimate carrier? I got a box from UPS yesterday that was shipped as 24" x 24" x 36" tall. When it got here, it was much more shaped like a basketball. It was close to the weight limit but that is no excuse. I got 2 doors 2 weeks ago from the other side of the country and they did not even get dirty. Is there one that is more reliable? Or am I asking for a major miracle?

G

·
IF you can fit the package...use USPS.

Fedex is my next choice if I'm over the weight/ size limit for USPS.

My family owns a business that usually ships fragile items (containing a lot of glass). We occasionally have USPS break stuff, but no where near the frequency that UPS and Fedex did. Fedex has gotten better but they can have some very wierd shipping and pick up policys.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I agree.....my raking of carriers..

1. USPS

2. FEDEX

3. UPS (unreliable pathetic simpletons)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have a little different take on this. If you ship something that is poorly packed, you are an idiot, and it WILL be damaged.

Now that I have your attention - the issue is less about UPS or FedEx than it is
the person or company doing the shipping. If HornDog Auto Parts does a poor job of packing the item, it doesn't make any difference who carries it, the part is at risk for damage. If we are talking heavy or bulky parts, they need to be packed with greater care and stronger materials than does a box of lug nuts.

End of subject.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well I happen to take care of packages where I work. I deal with all the above from day to day. UPS union workers don't care to much for their jobs so it shows in the way they handle your packages. Same goes for FedEx. If you want something shipped to you without getting dinged, it needs to be plastered with fragile stickers or pick a carrier like Tantara. Tantara handles freight shipments though. They ship everything from cars, motorcycles to delicate computer equipment. Their trailers are padded with carpet to protect their shipments.
Brent

·
Registered
977 Posts
I do agree about the packing methods too. I've seen people try and ship a computer monitor using bubble wrap and pop corn. What the %^$# were they thinking.
Brent

·
Registered
912 Posts
As a UPS employee, I have to say that I resent being cast as a lazy, careless worker. I do my best to not break anything, but the sheer volume I have to deal with makes that very hard. Try dealing with 2500-5000 boxes and close to 25 tons of odd shaped packages in 4 hours. I have to say that people who ship things like 100 lbs of suspension parts in a cardboard box rated for 30 lbs like the shipment I dealt with last night are to blame for any damage that is sustained. If you are shipping something fragile, don't just wrap some paper around it and hope it stays in one piece. These packages change hands like ten times a piece and spend alot of time in the back of trucks. If you fail to properly package something fragile, then just being in the back of a truck on a bumpy road could break it. Keep in mind that your package is not the only one being shipped and it will come in contact with other boxes. If you want to be absulutely sure it will not break, go pick it up from the people you bought it from yourself and quit whining.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Well, I just recently shipped a couple of larger items such as fenders that UPS or FedEx wouldn't take because they were 3.5" inches over the size limit. And it's a good thing! Otherwise I wouldn't of ever tried GreyHound Bus Lines. They allowed me to back right up to their docks, had two employees standing there to help carry the fenders inside. When I asked how long it would take for the fenders to get to their destination, the guy behind the counter said 12 hours! UPS was going to take a week! The only drawback was the buyer had to pick them up at the bus station in his town. But to be honest, If I knew I could get them much sooner, much cheaper, as a buyer I wouldn't have a problem with having to drive to the station to pick them up.

The best part was they arrived just as I shipped them...Undamaged! I'm sure they will be getting more of my service in the future!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I am not casting you or any UPS or FedEx employee as lazy. You guys drive around in a hot truck sweating your %$# off all day and you are always on the go. That's why most of you don't like your job. The biggest reason is your boss. Sending you home and laying off your co-workers. My aunt works for UPS in my town and I have the inside scoop here. I have watched a few times where my driver took off in a hurry and packages when rolling out the back door. You are always going too fast to try and keep up. When you ship something and it didn't cost you no more than $40. Look out!! You going to get what you payed for. Like you said you deal mostly in volume not quality. Like I mentioned earlier shipping with Tantara it might cost you $100 to ship a $100 fender. You'll pay twice as much for a quality undamaged part. Fortunately I live three miles away from NPD. If something is damaged, I will know before I drive away with it.
Brent

G

·
My take. UPS, usually a good job(I package well) but getting paid on an insurance is a bear! USPS, line is a little longer here but the service & quality are excellent. Fed/Ex, would be my shipipper of choice for shipping myin-law. They can't find their ass with both hands. Thanks to Wizco I'm trying Greyhound with some trepadation but they seem very professional & want the business. Business goes where it's wanted & stays where it's appreciated. As for the UPS people not liking their jobs... they signed on for it, they need to do it to the best of their ability or get the hell out & let some poor SOB like me in there! Heat... I'm in Oklahoma, no problem, mean people... I'm on good medication, Getting lost... forget it! Sorry about the rant, been a bad week at my new menial job.

G

·
They all screw up at one time or another. I always think of my packages being handled by Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, and pack accordingly. My stuff may get lost but it never gets damaged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts