Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 questions that I cant seem to figure out.
How to remove approx 3 layers of paint from a urethane front bumper on my 72? Paint remover? sandblast? DA sander?
And can it be painted with regular 2 part Epoxy primer and paint or is it a flexible paint?
Lastly, I ordered a rear wing from texas mustang a while back and first the quality was terrible but more important were the stands get bolted to the trunk there is no access for nuts underneath.
There is a reinforcement section with a flat area but the stands are not wide enough apart to be bolted there. Does any one know the width of the stands maybe they sent the wrong wing, its on a 1972 Convertible trunk the stands on the wing are 33 1/2 inches center to center?
Thanks for the help....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I can't answer the paint stripping question, but you'll have to mix flex agent into the primer on the "rubber" parts. There is proof in my driveway of what happens when you forget the flex agent and get hit in a parking lot...you can actually tell it got hit. :lol:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
How to remove approx 3 layers of paint from a urethane front bumper on my 72?
Paint remover? sandblast? DA sander?

First; Is the paint currently on it peeling off, or not?

if its not peeling off, then DO NOT sand it all the way down to rubber, these bumpers are very hard to get paint to stay on to. if its not peeling sand it smooth and get a good coat of flexible primer on it, that can be put on top of old paint. make sure its perfect before you color it. use the urethane repair kits on it if needed.

if the paint is peeling, sand it down CAREFULLY to the rubber, you might want to do this by hand so that you don't eat into the shape. then when ready hit it with flex primer. the rubber is going to suck up the first coat, so be prepared to hit it a few times.

And can it be painted with regular 2 part Epoxy primer and paint or is it a flexible paint?

best to use flex paint, or find a paint where you can add flex to it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jim for the info on flex, It has a layer of very thick peeling paint that is white and below that is dark green and below that looks like the factory color Lime
is sandblasting or paint remover not an option?
I think I will try to Machine sand the first one or two layers then hand sand the final, since the colors are different I should know when to stop

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to machine sand it. I used an electric random orbital sander and went all the way to the rubber. I used a Scotchbrite Roloc to get into the tight areas. You might find a bubble or soft spot (air pocket) around the ends where the bumper fills the notches in the fenders. If you have a covered air pocket, go ahead and cut it open so you can fill it. Bondo makes a decent rubber bumper repair kit that is good for this. I sprayed Bulldog adhesion promoter and the base coat stuck just fine. I didn't bother putting a flex agent in the paint because I figured that it would take much of a bump and I would have to repaint the bumper, anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts