Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to bleed my new single piston calipers and hoses and the fluid just pours right out.

Is there supposed to be a sealer or washer that goes between the hose fitting and the caliper?? What torque - I can't find anything in the book?

It's hard enough to get the wife out there to help - but when something like this happens - - - argh!!

Please help.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes, there should be a small copper gasket that fits between the caliper and the hose fitting.The washer compresses to form a tight seal.
Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there two then?? I have one between the bolt head and the hose. Is this incorrect? Should I move it between the hose and caliper or should there be two??

Please help.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Make sure your soft line is not one upside down as well.

When I installed the SSB kit on the rear of DT, the soft lines have a little indent to tell up from down.

If you install backwards, it will leak.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Also go to a NAPA store and get the bleeder screws with the check ball in then, a little spendy but you can bleed them without help from another person.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this is a banjo bolt, you need two copper washers typically. One under the bolt head and one between the fitting and the caliper.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So 2 washers - I guess a thick one under the bolt head and a thinner one between the hose fitting and the caliper. Guess I'll head out to the store tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Where is the fluid coming out the caliper?..The Copper ring should be between the caliper and the hose fitting so that it seals the contact of these two pieces.Are you working on a 69? I will check mine out tomorrow and see what you have..I know I also had some leak problems when I did mine as well but the ring seals worked on mine.You do have to tighten it up pretty good as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just installed my new disc brakes today. There should be two copper washers. One goes directly onto the hollow bolt. The hollow bolt then passes through the flex line. Put another copper washer as the base of the bolt (between the flex line and the caliper), and then torque the bolt to 13 ft lbs. That should take care of any problems you have. If you have a poor quality aftermarket caliper as I did (courtesy SSBC), you may need to mill it down to allow the flex line to be flush.

Deathman68

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they are all the same thinkness. It shouldn't matter unless something bumps into something else.

Why do you think there is a thick and thin?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts