Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else see the article on collector cars in USA Today. It talked about how when the Stock Market goes down the car market goes up. The prices they showed for some of the cars was unreal. $175,000.00 for a 454 Chevelle, over $100K for most of the Corvettes listed. They talked about some people buying for the enjoyment of the car but a lot are buying for the investment potential. I guess you can't blame someone for taking that kind of money if offered for their car but it suggested that this could cause another price explosion like the late 1980's. A lot of these cars are already out of most peoples reach and the rare cars are into lottery range. I guess that I would rather see these cars at the local cruise night being enjoyed instead of sitting in a warehouse because the owner was advised that it was a good investment.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
From other collectables interests I have had, I would guess... not nearly as much. Like, if the top end doubles, the low end goes up 15-20%. People are looking for top-notch, investment-grade vehicles (and everything else), they're not looking to buy a fixer-upper.

I have no idea, but I'd guess that people like K.A.R. are seeing terrific business.

Steve

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was talking with Kevin at KAR last week and yes, they're hopping. I was actually surprised also but I guess it is as USA Today says.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Last November, The gains I had seen on some stocks and funds I own over a 4 year period was lower than my expectations. I decided to pull some out and purchase a couple of cars for investment purposes to experiement to see if the gains on classic cars is going up. All I can say is I haven't been dissapointed at the climbing values of the cars I purchased Vs my stock gains in the same time frame. The cars are being used and enjoyed, and some say there is a risk using them as a daily driver and a investment, but no more than if the market crashes with little notice. Plus that's what insurance is for. Like to see what insurance would cost to cover your but on stock investments ? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Its too bad that most of the cars have gotten so far out of range for most people[price wise],the investors
drive the prices up so the reg guy has to take a 2nd on his house just to get in the game.
i think for most of us regardless of what the market does, we will always have a mustang or 2[or 3 or 4]
i bought most of my cars in the mid 80`s when you could by a neat car for a good price,for me its always
been about the cars,not just about the money
Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
i still remember a ad i saw about a year ago,it started out "remember when boss 429's were 85,000? i do,still have canceled check,will sell today 50,000." i remember back early 90's the foreign investors drove the market through the roof,but the money dried up and prices came down alot, i saw that shelby bring 95k on ebaaa the other day and thought here we go again!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Just to sidetrack the discussion a bit--if you *were* going to buy an investment car, what kind of car would you buy?

Shelbys already seem about as high as they can go. An early Dodge Viper? A new (2004) GT-40? The new Mach 1? A BMW M3?

If you had the money...

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
How about the new Shelby Series One ? Fully loaded at a mere $200,000.00 That has got to be a sound investment! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Ya, i remember 1986 when i paid 15k for my 65 shelby,thinking i`ll prob take a bath later, then
when the early 90`s Rec hit i fig i was right,but it never happend[i cleared out my bank account for that car]my wife almost forced me to sleep in that car!
looking back now it prob was one of the better choices i made as far as investments go.
we look at the prices now an think NO WAY ! would i ever pay todays prices,but the cars are
getting harder an harder to come by,every day more people are getting into the collector car deal
and there is only so many built,
i kinda think the cobra R models and the new mach 1`s well be the hot ticket later on down the road
also any low producton car w/ good looks would be a +
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts