Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you 67-68 owner's out there....

I am radically modifying my car and eliminating the cowl vents. I have cut the lower portion of cowl out from inside the car to allow my modified clutch (cable type) to have plenty of room to travel. As a result, the part that the cable pivots from is literally inside the cowl area adjacent to the "top hat". Is the flat space above the firewall usable? I am thinking of having my clutch cable exit at this point, but I don't know if the hood will interfere with it or not. To clarify, I am referring to the area above the factory seam sealer at the firewall (close to where the washer nozzles mount). I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks in advance,

Deathman68

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I sure can;t think of much. If your a contortionist you might be able to mount an amp or two up there but you sound more like the kind of person who would proudly mount them in your trunk rather than trying to find a hiding place. On my 67 i mounted a secondary fuse block behind the dash, had it not been for the fact that i wanted to keep my cowl water tight i would have mounted mine on the inside of the cowl directly behind the glove box.

If your feeling like rice, you could put some neon up there.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps my description was not accurate. I am simply referring to a location from which my clutch cable can exit. I am trying to achieve the recommended 2.5 inches of radius for clutch travel. Although this is an easy task on the '65 and '66, the 67-68 do not provide adequate room for this modification. As a result, I cut the bottom of the cowl out to allow proper clearance. The problem I run into now is that this would cause the clutch cable to exit above the seam sealer. Is this a good location, or will this interfere with the hood? I have included a picture to help clarify the situation.

Thanks again,

Deathman68

http://www.geocities.com/leslie68fastback/68mustang.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts