Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was attempting to remove Shag's after market POS steering wheel. The wheel came off with no problem for it was not splined. The aluminum spacer underneath it was. Sprayed the splines with some PB and got out my 3 prong puller and torqued the heck out of it with no give. The center shaft of the puller started bending and walking off the end of the steering shaft.

Removed everything, I reground the tip of the center shaft back to a nice point and this time got out my simple little propane torch. Hooked up the puller and put maybe 30# of torque. Fired up the torch and before I was able to apply more torque to the puller, the spacer suddenly slid outward. I mean I barely got into it and it was already over. Just like Midlifes ventures with the local sheep.

So, for those who plan to remove some splined items, think about your torch.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Especially when the outer item is aluminum...greater thermal conductivity and higher expansion rate.

Bugger on the reverse. Tossing some liquid nitrogen on it works sometimes. Don't drink it LOL..

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Now what did Midlife do to you? :deadhorse: But it was damn funny. :grin:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think that is the second hardest I have laughed this month. :lol: The first being at Silver Springs watching Randy make out with that Camel. You should have seen the looks people were making.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Well, my wife called earlier and mentioned she bought me a "present" while there today and it made me think of Randy... or was it made me Randy...

or... :D

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I couldn't get a gear off of the main shaft of my Toyota tranny. I put some torque on it with the gear puller and got out the torch. Mapp gas. It took a while, but when it let go it sounded like a gun shot and only stayed on the shaft because the shaft was so long. Steel on steel. Had to do that to another gear in the same transmission but I had that in the press. I guess they liked where they were after being there for 21 years. They went back on like a dream.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Often, for stock rebuilds, a rod heater is used and the piston pin is dipped in liquid nitrogen and married to the rod with no mechanical press at all. Just dropped in, with the temperature/dimensional difference obviating the eventual "press" when the parts are back to a similar temperature.

Old trick (using heat in cold) in my business...

Pat

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
We use sorta the same process at work when replacing taperlocks on larger shafts. Boil the taper lock in oil and pack dry ice around the shaft. When you get them prepped slide em together, but make sure you get it in the right place. If you don't its nearly impossible to get them apart.

"I mean I barely got into it and it was already over. Just like Midlifes ventures with the local sheep."

What are you trying to say here its over for midlife or the sheep. :shrug: I mean come on enough of :deadhorse:, he can't help it if he's got it that baaaaaaad.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Randy,
Where the heck are you? Here I have bad mouthed you and you hide.

I wished I had used my torch more when restoring Red. I probably could have reduced some headaches.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
My attorneys have advised me that until Feb. 16 not to mention *ahem* the unmentionable.

You do remember the little ditty that starts out: "The heat of the..."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts