Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really crappy compressor (single stage, 1HP, 10 gal tank). I've always wanted to upgrade to something better. I don't need the "ultimate" compressor, just an upgrade. Is this Ingersoll-Rand worth a look. It's old but works. Thoughts?

Ingersoll Rand Compressor

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
I bought an ancient horizontal compressor 25 years ago. The pump quit working so I checked into parts to rebuild it. It was cheaper to buy a new pump online.
That looks like an older compressor and IR was a quality product. I'd try to get it for $150.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The larger IR compressors are made in India. I looked at them but decided against it.

·
6,928 Posts
I think I'm with awhtx on this one. Looks like a cool old compressor. If it's working, not making any funny noises and not leaking, I'd take a chance on it.

I got a slightly newer (but not much) early craftsman from a friend 12 years ago. Has not caused me a bit of trouble yet. Huge improvement over the old single stage it replaced especially in noise level.

BTW...the off topic section of VMF is a great spot for this sort of question, but The Garage Journal is my "go to" for all things compressor related. Cool site.

Phil

·
Just some guy
19,996 Posts
It looks like the old version of what they now call a 5HP 150 psi single stage compressor. Which is what I have. Not quite big enough to really paint a whole car well but does about everything else. Will run a blast cabinet just adequately. Stating what mine does, keep in mind this one is much older and we would imagine has some wear on it. You can get parts for it though. You could even replace the entire compressor and-or motor if you wanted or needed to.

·
Registered
20,531 Posts
Those old compressed will run for a long time. Being in someone's house means it's been occasionally used. I like the fact that it's a V twin. The V twin is a superior design, it means the cylinders cool better which means more of the tank pressure is from compressed air and less from heat expansion.

Look at it this way, the compressor is in that guy's way. I'd preferably would like to verify it works correctly and run it. See if it restarts with high head pressure. On the other hand if he can't run it, that's in your favor at knocking down the price. Offer $125 if it doesn't run. It's easier going up on your offer then it is going lower.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I am with others. While old, if it runs, why not give it a shot. Are you set up for 220v?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same pump, likely of the same vintage. I use it hard every day. I have been running it for 10 years and I now notice a longer fill time. I suspect it needs a hone and a set of rings. Parts are still available. Be sure to look at the oil in the pump. It should be a non detergent 30 weight, or air compressor oil. If the oil seems really thick, or smells like gear oil, then don’t get it. Pull the bottom large plug, bring an iron pipe wrench and a long cheater as they are in tight. Check for a large amount of rust with metal loss in the bottom of the tank. These tanks are not the dispos tanks made of 10 gauge, they are a fair bit thicker and have a pressure vessel rating plate welded on. It should give you a fair Idea of age. Expect to find surface rust and some flakes in the bottom, just be wary of deep pitting. If drained regularly they can last a very long time. Even if a bit neglected they last a long time. So long as it pressures up fine, should be 175 psi cut out, has no leaks in the tank (bring a bottle of soapy water) and doesn’t take forever to get to pressure I think it would be a good addition to a home shop.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have a small 5 gal compressor. Perfect for airing ties and a artist gun. No good for anything else.

Ive been on CL myself looking at used compressors. They go fast, usually in a couple hours.

I like saving $, but I think I am going to spring for one of the quite compressors. I like quiet as well

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Some of those older ones can have a wire switched to run 120v but don't tell the seller :)
Fair deal that won't last I bet but if he can't show it running that a definite lower offer situation.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have a really crappy compressor (single stage, 1HP, 10 gal tank). I've always wanted to upgrade to something better. I don't need the "ultimate" compressor, just an upgrade. Is this Ingersoll-Rand worth a look. It's old but works. Thoughts?

Ingersoll Rand Compressor
From the plate that’s an IR 234. They are robust, parts still available. The current version is a 2340. The 234 came with 2, 3.5 or 5 hp motors. The motor should have a tag with the rating. If the hp isn’t on the tag the hp can be computed. It was the entry level industrial grade compressor at the time. With the biggest motor for that pump the max CFM is 11 @ 90 psi. If it had the smaller motors you could upgrade to a new 5 hp motor. It’s going to blow you current compressor away regardless of what motor it has. For the current 5 hp version of that same is around a grand.

Like @GypsyR says it will barely keep up with some applications. I have another brand the same size and with the TP tools blast gun with low cfm nozzles and a LVLP spray gun it will keep up though run all the time. Grinders and sanders will deplete it after a few mins but for $200 I’d take it even if you had to get a bigger motor.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
only reason for selling is the need for breaker space on my electric service panel at home. Remodeling kitchen, and converted to electric wall oven, and had to prioritize electric service
uh-what?

Coming from a 1hp 10 gal, this will be a huge step up. For the price, it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback. I sent the seller a text with a couple of questions. I'll see if he responds and take it from there.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at the compressor today. It was not hooked up so I couldn't see it run. Oil was pretty clean. It did not smell like gear oil. Homeowner said he rarely used it and it came with the house. He also said it originally came from the local volunteer fire department. I'm guessing he would let it go for $125 to $150. Motor tag says 110/220 volt, 1 3/4 HP so it looks like it can be wired for 110 or 220 volts. This puppy is pretty big and weighs a lot (200-300 lbs?). I could not load it onto my truck with 2 people. At this point, I'm weighing my options. I can borrow a trailer but would need a big honking hand truck and about 3 people to load it onto the trailer. I don't want to lay it down, any suggestions for transporting this puppy?

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Transport it upright. Old refrigerators would lock up if you lay them down for a ride then plug them up without letting the oil settle. Tie it at all 4 corners of a pickup bed and ride easy. It's cool for the age factor and if the motor quits, the tank and cool gauge is worth $100 and you can fill it as a reserve with your new compressor when you buy one haha!

·
Registered
591 Posts
If it runs well, for $200 it sounds like a deal. If you plan to paint with it you'll want to check the CFM output to make sure it can keep up with the spray gun you plan to use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just back the truck up to it and lay it down in the bed. They are pretty top heavy. Yes, you might get some oil out of the vent, but it is no problem, since you are going to change the oil as soon as you get it home.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can also bring some tools and take the compressor head off for transport and then you can lay the tank flat. Then put it back together when you get it home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts