Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a red 1967 console on eBay for around $300. Is that ballpark for a used one? It looks like the new console are in the neighborhood of a grand.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Is it for a coupe/fb or a conv? (bottom gets cut diff) What do you need?
Is it 100% complete, all the plates or just plastic base?
Is it for a automatic vs manual? most will be for automatic.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it for a coupe/fb or a conv? (bottom gets cut diff) What do you need?
Is it 100% complete, all the plates or just plastic base?
Is it for a automatic vs manual? most will be for automatic.
Coupe. I'll need it for a convertible.
Complete except upper trim piece (radio and door).
Automatic, which is also fine.

Used but I don't see any damage. It would need to be repainted and the trim cleaned up.

I should probably wait until I find a great deal, I don't need it right this second.

·
Registered
304 Posts
At $300 for a used part, I'd say it's a little on the high side. If it was complete, in like-new condition and the correct color, then it might be a reasonable price. As is, it's probably in the $200 range (if it's a correct fit for your vehicle). Let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At $300 for a used part, I'd say it's a little on the high side. If it was complete, in like-new condition and the correct color, then it might be a reasonable price. As is, it's probably in the $200 range (if it's a correct fit for your vehicle). Let the buyer beware.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Finding the “upper trim piece” as you call it (the console radio bezel) is going to be a difficult task. They aren’t reproduced and you need a ‘67 specific part since ‘68 (and Cougars) will fit but had a pad that you don’t have.

I was in that position - looking for that piece - and it was $150 for a used Cougar piece (not correct) or $250+ for the correct Mustang piece. There’s a user on here selling that exact piece in amazing shape... $300.

I ended up finding a complete console for $300

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
My experience on the subject...
The original plastic after 50+ years was very brittle and simply fell apart - a good used one would have to survive shipping and install. Assume you will have to paint - so just get any color available...

I bought the ($1,300?) aftermarket console (coupe/auto) and used the proper prep and paint (another ~$50). New console issue was fitment - each aftermarket trim piece is slightly "off" from OEM - I could not simply install my shiny bits from my original console. So all parts are aftermarket... It looks fine. On the plus - I have OEM trim I can sell at some point. ;)

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Man, I really need to cull the parts collection. Seems like all that hoarding will finally pay off.

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
For about $1k I hope the reproduction consoles are very nice?
Yes. As noted above, some adjustments may be required. I have painted and installed complete repro consoles, and they look quite good in the car.

The 68 console has no doubt not been reproduced because it requires more parts, and the 67 has not been a huge seller.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts