Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to tell if used fenders are from ford tooling or are just one of the cheaper repos?

·
Registered
788 Posts
The easiest way is to look for the Ford part number stenciled in yellow paint underneath the top. It might take a little scrubbing, but they're usually easy to see.

·
Registered
942 Posts
A used original fender "may" still have some of the part number still visable on the underside-I've never seen this though after over 45 years.....
I have Ford tooling fenders on mine, and have never looked at the cheap REPRODUCTION fenders to compaire-this said, IF I were building a car to keep for a long time or forever I'd spend the money on/use either a VERY NICE original or the Ford Tooling parts, otherwise, if you are building a "flipper" like alot of folks out there are doing then you can probably use the cheap Chineese stuff-though I don't think I personally would like to be on the receiving end of a "flipped" car built like that.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The "real deals" have a date and shift # stamped on the lip where they attach to aprons.
Have Ford fenders on my 68. One is an original to another 68 than mine, and the other is a black primer "Ford" fender. The original one has a date and shift # while the black primer Ford fender has the letter A and some numbers. That black primer one is probably at least 10 yrs. from purchase from a Ford Dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess to better explain my situation.
A guy has some used fenders for sale. I have spoke to him on the phone and he is telling me that they are ford tooling fenders he bought from CJ Pony. The fenders have been painted and previously installed on his car. He has now decided to remove them and install a fiberglass front on his car. Is there a good way to confirm that they are ford tooling fenders? He is located about 150 miles from me. I would like to think that most people are honest, but I don't want to get stuck with used repo fenders either.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I guess to better explain my situation.
A guy has some used fenders for sale. I have spoke to him on the phone and he is telling me that they are ford tooling fenders he bought from CJ Pony. The fenders have been painted and previously installed on his car. He has now decided to remove them and install a fiberglass front on his car. Is there a good way to confirm that they are ford tooling fenders? He is located about 150 miles from me. I would like to think that most people are honest, but I don't want to get stuck with used repo fenders either.
Ask to see the invoice from CJ that came with the fender. That will tell you what they are. Either he or CJ will have some record of the sale. If he says he doesn't have it, ask him to call CJ for a copy. They do keep sales records there. How far back, I don't know though. I for one keep all the receipts/invoices for parts that I purchased during the restoration of my 65 convertible, but that's just me.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Where exactly would the date and shift stamp be, if a fender is factory Ford? I picked up two fenders for my 66 last night. The seller says they are factory ford fenders he removed from his car, but I would like to confirm this. They are is good shape. The one does have some numbers stamped on it. When I get home I will try to read the stamp. I didn't look at the other fender for a stamp, but will also do that when I get home.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I checked the fenders, both have stamps. There is a stamp on the flange that bolts the top of the fender to the aprons and there's one on the vertical part at the rear of the fender. Both stamps appear to be the shape.

Do repro fenders have these stamps too?

The fenders are in great shape, just need a little work, no welding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts