Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering if there is a standard pricing for used parts? I am always looking for parts and have a ton of my own that I would like to get rid of. I just dont want to get ripped off or rip anyone off.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I do not know of anything like that. It really does vary between different parts, since some are not reproduced.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
it varies. i saw a new old stock 65-66 left front fender from the 60's(thick gauge) for $500.00. last summer another guy had a later thin new old stock for $1200.00 !!! i told him i could get a good complete coupe shell with good fenders for $1200.00 , yeah he got all p.o.'d !!! follow stuff like you wanna sell on ebay and when the auction ends see what it sold for. call some used parts suppliers and ask what they are selling same part for.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
if its exterior sheetmetal parts in like new condition ask what repro metal goes for and always put obo,other parts except rare hard to find i alway ask 25-50 percent of what repro goes for unless it needs to be refurbushed, then maybe 20% of new,sometimes pennies on the dollar just to move it or free with other purchases. i always try to give the buyer a bargin so he will want to tell his friends and do business again. word of mouth is best advertising u can get. wes

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
eBay is good but so is Craigslist to get a feel what like condition parts go for.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Impossible to say. I sold a set of brake/clutch pedals on ebay and got $175. Sold an identical set 2 months later and got $40.

ebay is the best bet for max value as you reach the largest group of people. Good pictures, good description and starting point of $9.99 with no reserve. That will tell you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Craigslist is good. Also go check out a swap meet if there is on local always a good way to see. Always ask a little more than you want on craigslist to leave some negotiating room. When someone comes to look at your parts ask if they have anything and maybe do some trades.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've recently sold a lot of xtra parts I have laying around - some for good dollar and some not so good. I watch ebay and then try to list at the going price that others are selling their stuff for. I do "or best offer" and let them talk me down another 10-20%. I found when I did "or best offer" I got way more action and sales than just a fixed price. I think people like to haggle.

Definitly do your homework on every part tho. I just sold a 1970 set of hi-back buckets for $100 thinking I did ok, then I found out they go for $350. I assumed - I didnt do my homework on those crusty old seats - I lost out! Luckily I have another pair 1969 hi backs to sell.....lol.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've found Craigslist pricing on parts to be all over the place. A lot of it depends on who is selling it and if they truly know the value and/or if it's original or not. Do your homework on what the stuff is worth to you and make them an offer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep hearing "do your homework", but where is the book that has that info? Is craigslist, ebay the place? JWS said he sold some seats for cheap and found out they were worth more, but where did you find out the "right" price?

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
I keep hearing "do your homework", but where is the book that has that info? Is craigslist, ebay the place? JWS said he sold some seats for cheap and found out they were worth more, but where did you find out the "right" price?
it comes down to what the buyer wants to pay. theres no blue book on these parts. look at ebay and some others say craigs list to and see what the winning bid is. i was lloking for a good set of 71-73 spindles a while back and one guy wanted $175.00ea IIRC and another guy wanted $100.00 for a pair. both sets were good. i sold several smallblock aluminum bell housings i had aquried over the years for $100.00ea. i have seen the same bells for less and a lot more. ask $175 for a front fender and if they want to talk you down stop at $150. i sold a 65 fastback trunk lid of my last 65 for $150 IIRC. i put a maier fiberglass on it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
JWS said he sold some seats for cheap and found out they were worth more, but where did you find out the "right" price?
Well I had a fellow mustanger in my garage and when I told him I sold them for $100 his jaw dropped. He told me $350 - sure enough I started watching fleabay and a pair sold for $375. I did my homework (ebay watching) on most parts but figured seats were a dime a dozen so I got lazy and lost $. I think watching fleabay and seeing what they actually sell for is your best bet.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
Well I had a fellow mustanger in my garage and when I told him I sold them for $100 his jaw dropped. He told me $350 - sure enough I started watching fleabay and a pair sold for $375. I did my homework (ebay watching) on most parts but figured seats were a dime a dozen so I got lazy and lost $. I think watching fleabay and seeing what they actually sell for is your best bet.
i recently GAVE 2 sets of mustang bucket seats away. i asked around and several guys that sell parts had stacks of them and i didnt want them. i still have a few sets back in missippi. i tried selleng the rear seat assymbly out of my 65 FB and found several of those that people have sitting so i gave mine to my landlord. seems alotta people like that rear package tray. on another product note i periodically look at a certain brand of music drum on ebay and find a wild variation in the price of the same drum. btw i still have another complete 65-66 fold down seat ssymbly in mississippi i mean missippi.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the input, ill put it to good use!

Also Im making a 65 fastback right now and happen to need a seat......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts