Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon further inspection of the body of my 73 Mach, its way too bad to save. Ive decided to use what parts I can on my '71 convertible. I was just wondering before I start working on it if most of these parts interchange. Here is a list of the stuff I hope to use: RAM AIR hood, center gauge pack, tach gauges, wiring harness, and the rear end?
Also, Should I send the gauges and tach off to be worked over? If so, where?

Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by yesman on 04/18/01 10:41 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That aught to all work w/ no problems... Why would your gauges need going over? Do they not work? If they work and look fine, I wouldn't see a point in getting them looked at, but if they need work, check http://www.tachman.com, he does the tachs, not sure about where to get the other gauges looked at, I've never heard of them being repaired, only replaced.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will work fine -- however, you should not mix 'n match wiring harness sections since the 73 and 71 wiring is considerably different. If you are installing the tach and guages in a car that never had them, the underdash and engine compartment harnesses will need to be installed as a whole. Also, Make sure you keep the hood hinge springs from the NASA style with the hood. They are stronger to hold that monster hood up. Difference is the NASA hood springs are slightly flattened at top and bottom. If you find someone who can fix gauges --- let us know - the usual course is to search junkyards and swaps for ones that 'might' work.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The main engine harness is different for the 73 at least for a Mach 1 I know it is. I looked at one a while back for my 72 and it wouldn't work as a drop in swap, modificaitons would have been necessary.

Jim Gates
72 Mach 1 - 460, C6
65 Olds 4-4-2, 400 ci, 4-sp
71 Dart Swinger 340 - Project in the queue

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, thanks for all the help, I greatly appreciate it. So can I just hook the tach and gauges up without a harness, or would a wiring harness need to be bought for a 71 mach 1?

Chris

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You can 100% definitely do it w/o the harness, I did... I won't clutter this message up w/ all the gorey details, but if you decide to go that route, post again or email me and I'll help you out when you need it... It wasn't very hard, and if I didn't have a few unexpected problems I would have been done w/ it in a day.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts