Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this kill the generator/sawzall? I believe the sawzall is 1000w, but that is at full bore. I'm afraid it will still use 500w though at the slowest usable speed. Anyone an expert on this situation?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The last time I used a Sawzall on a 300w generator, I found that it cut very quickly through the plastic housing, but as soon as the blade cut through into the generator itself, I encountered a lot of sparks, and the hair on my arms caught on fire.

Later, the doctor said I had suffered an intense electrocution, which led to a massive cardiac arrest.

Please do not use the Sawzall (at any speed, and especially not at full bore) to kill a generator. The generator will win, every time.

HTH,

Rick

(sorry, J/K . . . I must have mis-read the meaning of the post) :: :: :: :: :: ::

Rick

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i saw it and thought it did sound a little funny myself :p

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The complaint I have heard about small generators most often is that they will "burn up" tools. The simple reason would be that their output is not really a sine wave like out of the wall. They are more square wave like and the extra stuff (odd harmonics that make up the square part) just cause excess heat in the tool. That aside, 300W will only give you 2.5 Amps. If the generator has any regulation at all (which it should, but probably not much) you would simply end up with a fairly wimpy sawzall. I mean mine is rated for 8 Amps, which means that just prior to a bind condition, that puppy is sucking that out of the outlet. Does your gen have a little breaker or a fuse on the output?
Not saws some...
Not saws most...
Sawzall!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Why would you want to power an electric generator with an electric power tool?

Chasing perpetual motion?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
For future reference...

Volts
X
Amps
=
Watts

120 volt tool X 8 amp motor = 960 watts

·
Registered
21,479 Posts
There's a thing called a "circuit breaker" on the generator. 300 watts divide by 120 volts will draw 2.5 amps. 2.5 amp fuse will hold 2.5 amps indefinately, above that, it's an inverse relationship.

In a word....no.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Do what I do ,borrow my brothers cordless sawsall. Keep in mind that if a motor is rated at 8 amps it usually only sees that under full load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts