Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a post in June concerning hidden antennas. One possible unit was from the Chevy Lumina van. This sounded good but it is not what to use. The antenna is a tuned item meaning that the size is big enough to capture radio signals in the AM & FM spectrum. This antenna is bigger than the Mustang roof and trimming it to fit would compromise signal reception, you might not get all stations available. This is why it worked good in the poster's garage. The other reason why it won't work in a Mustang is because the Lumina is a plastic body and the Mustang is steel. The steel Mustang roof would act as a shield blocking out reception.

·
Administrator
19,305 Posts
Funny, I cut the rear 2/3's off one and used it under the headliner of my standard cab F150 with excellent results. From direct experience, you can stick the traditional "stick" antenna in the headliner and still get radio reception. Yes it will be somewhat reduced. Consider the surface area of a big sheet of copper versus a stick antenna though. I know 2 other local guys (one 85 Mustang coupe and 1 69 Camaro) who are using "butchered" APV roof antennas with no complaints. One caveat is that the copper plated side must not contact the sheet metal of the car.
If you're talking about AM reception, then all bets are off. I haven't tuned to anything AM in 20 years or more.
You results may vary. An antenna signal "booster" from Radio Shack might be helpful, though we haven't found it necessary. I can verify 3 installations that work just fine, whether they are "supposed to" or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts