Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the V belt on my 302 (single belt drive line, alternator, fan and crankcase pulley) but I keep getting different sizing from different vendors/sources. Where can I find the correct sizing so i make sure i purchase the correct belt replacement?

current belt is squealing at high RPMs. pulleys are aligned, belt has less than 1/2" of play.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I need to replace the V belt on my 302 (single belt drive line, alternator, fan and crankcase pulley) but I keep getting different sizing from different vendors/sources. Where can I find the correct sizing so i make sure i purchase the correct belt replacement?

current belt is squealing at high RPMs. pulleys are aligned, belt has less than 1/2" of play.
What year?

65-69 with alternator only:
41.2 long
15/32 wide

Ford C4TE-8620-S
Autolite/Motorcraft JB-412

Paul

·
Premium Member
11,440 Posts
There are 3 basic V-belt sizes- 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" measured across the widest part of the belt. IIRC, back in the '60's and 70's the part number for a v-belt consisted of its' width in 16ths of an inch and its' length. So a 1/2" wide belt 41.5" long would have been an 8415. Nowadays I don't see any rhyme or reason to v-belt part numbers.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Take the old belt to the parts store and get the right belt. There is no point in ordering a belt. It is just a belt. They will have it at the parts store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts