Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys i havent said much for some time now, ive been working on the car alot. i have converted the front end, rear end, brakes, and wheels, transmission, and engine (of course)
i just put in a 302 bored .60 over hyperutectic clevite pistons, .224 int. .224 exh. mechanical cam, edelbrock torquer 1 intake, 600 cfm holly, hedman headers, arp engine and rod bolts, high flow aluminum water pump, flex fan yadda yadda ect. i also rebuilt the c-4 and installed a B&M transpak. and a B&M megashifter along with a 100 shot of wet nitros system. :) i think it will be a hole lot more fun than my 200 six with a 3 speed manual...

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Sounds like a great little package, except for:

hyperutectic clevite pistons
along with a 100 shot of wet nitros system
I am a little concerned here, all the research I have done says not to run nitrous with this type of piston. There is an extremely good chance you'll burn right thru them. I have wanted to put N2O on the Mach for quite some time and I too am running hypereutetic pistons, and that is the only thing that is stopping me.

If someone knows different and can provide some documentation that says it's OK, I would appreciate it. But I wouldn't go by word of mouth. Also, make sure your running plenty of fuel pressure, cause if your not and you hit that switch, you could create a lean condition that would create some seriously bad side affects for your motor. Like "BOOM"

Not trying to be a jerk, I'd just hate to see all that effort you've put into your car, go "POOF" real quick. :( :(

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
hyperutectic clevite pistons
I think Marks right.... I was talking with some folks about building a motor for me a week ago and they were very intent on wheather I was ever going to run nitrous or install a S/C ... big difference on piston choice .... ::

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
yeah....had trouble with that one.. :eek: somehow, I knew a reply was coming... :p :: ::

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I sure you had to swallow hard to admit that. Thanks ::

Hopefully Chris will see this post BEFORE he gets that itchy finger...... :(

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Like Mark and Ken have said, your piston choice is incorrect for a NO2 set up.....two of my old customers should have listened to the same advice :eek: ::

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have never herd of that. on NOS web site they say that a STOCK small block can handle a 100-125 no problem... so i cant see with upgraded rod bolts, pistons, intake, exhaust and everything else it could be a problem.. i havent even put in the bottle yet so i didnt try it yet.

oh and yes it is done just in time to go to North Carolina... next week ::

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
they say that a STOCK small block can handle a 100-125 no problem...
Stock small block?? This a new motor they are talking about? Like as in late model, because I think the newer 5.0's run forged pistons, although I could be wrong.

so i cant see with upgraded rod bolts, pistons, intake, exhaust and everything else it could be a problem
It's not that your upgraded hardware can't handle it, it's the material the pistons are constructed with. That is the concern.

Anyway, good luck. Report back to us after you've flogged it, cause I'm sure there are other's here besides myself that would like to hear from someone we know that actually did it.

P.S. have fun on your trip. :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts