Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed many times and I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd start a new Thread.

I have a 1965 V8 Vert with manual Drums all around (replaced single master bowl to duel bowl with kit from CPJP).
I also have the aftermarket styled steel 14" wheels (date stamped 1993) with rivets.

I see a few front Drum to Disc conversions on ebay for around $500 (Pirate Jack, Auto City Classic, Bro-Speed, and Performance On-Line).
Has anyone installed one of these kits, and if so, what wheels do you have? How do you like it?
I've heard that a proportioning valve may be needed, but none of these kits mention it or upgrading the master cylinder.

If I convert, I want a new kit (not interested in Granada or junk yard parts) that will fit my existing wheels.

Thanks!!!!!,
Ock

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed many times and I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd start a new Thread.

I have a 1965 V8 Vert with manual Drums all around (replaced single master bowl to duel bowl with kit from CPJP).
I also have the aftermarket styled steel 14" wheels (date stamped 1993) with rivets.

I see a few front Drum to Disc conversions on ebay for around $500 (Pirate Jack, Auto City Classic, Bro-Speed, and Performance On-Line).
Has anyone installed one of these kits, and if so, what wheels do you have? How do you like it?
I've heard that a proportioning valve may be needed, but none of these kits mention it or upgrading the master cylinder.

If I convert, I want a new kit (not interested in Granada or junk yard parts) that will fit my existing wheels.

Thanks!!!!!,
Ock
Call this guy, he can get you hooked up with the original disc brakes used on early mustangs. Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

·
Registered
20,793 Posts
Chocostang is a active member on the forum who deals only with Ford suspension and brake parts. His disc brake kits are accurate reproduction of the factory 4 piston KH system. Even by today's standards these are excellent brakes. The kit will simply bolt on your existing spindles and no worries about what wheels will fit.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Call this guy, he can get you hooked up with the original disc brakes used on early mustangs. Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering
Chocostang is a active member on the forum who deals only with Ford suspension and brake parts. His disc brake kits are accurate reproduction of the factory 4 piston KH system. Even by today's standards these are excellent brakes. The kit will simply bolt on your existing spindles and no worries about what wheels will fit.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering
not to mention that chock's stuff is similarly prices to the stuff you find on ebay. yes you may pay a hundred more to get the good stuff, but isnt your car worth it? let alone your life?

·
Registered
742 Posts
+1

Go with one of the well known and tested kits. Yes it might be a bit more expensive but if you run into any issue you will get professional help for free.
Call Chockostang, CSRP or opentracker and talk to them. The guys are great and the kits include everything you need. Even a new master cylinder for disc drum combo.

I did my conversion 1.5 years ago with a CSRP kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
The best thing about Chockostang's stuff is that he's honest, helpful and uses good quality components. Even better is when the day comes to replace the front brake pads or rotors all you have to remember is "I need pads and rotors for a '65 Mustang with disc brakes"... to get the right stuff.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I installed Chock’s kit an a 65 Fastback and couldn’t be happier with it. You will need to change your master Cylinder. Disk and drum MC are different. You will also need a proportion8ng valve. The original Kelsey Hayes unit is not reproduced. So Chock includes an aftermarket one like in all the other kits you see.

An alternate option is to replace the 65 distribution block with 70+ Ford style combination block that has the proportioning valve built in. Th8s option is simpler and cleaner, but not adjustable. I have the proportioning valve on the 65 and combo style on my son’s 66. No complaints with either approach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts