Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm waiting on a delivery from the U.S which will have new bearings for my 66 289 coupe. As well as bearings I ordered the nut & retainer but now I'm confused. I took a look at the current set up over the weekend and its a castle nut. Is the nut & retainer I have ordered from CJ Pony parts wrong ?
front.jpg cjpony.JPG

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
713 Posts
I believe either will work. Same principle, just a different means to cotter pin the nut in place. I believe the ones you ordered offer the advantage of being able to rotate the retainer to where you need it, versus having to back the castle nut up to get the cotter pin in.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Ford did use the castle nut you show but not on your Mustang. What you show from CJ would be more correct and
would fit if you have stock 65/66 spindles.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Late 20's to '52 or so on Ford trucks....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers. Why do I not realise by now that this car is a complete frankenstein :-(

I'll check out the casting numbers on the spindles. I have no reason not to use the nut & washer but thought I'd replace them at the same time I was doing the bearings...Now I'm worried that the bearings I ordered my also be wrong. I really must check everything BEFORE I order!

Late 20's to '52 or so on Ford trucks....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

View attachment 794259

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
713 Posts
If I had to venture a guess, I would think you probably have the correct spindles, just someone used different castle nuts.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just did this about 2 hours ago. The nut part screws onto the spindle, and the strange castle-shaped thing that they call the "retainer" actually slides over the nut and the cotter goes through it like a regular castle nut.

I don't see how there could be a difference in functionality from your first picture, which has a nut with integrated castling. I assume that any nut that allows a cotter to be slotted through will function the same, whether it's all one piece or a nut and castle retainer like from the factory.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
I don't see how there could be a difference in functionality from your first picture, which has a nut with integrated castling. I assume that any nut that allows a cotter to be slotted through will function the same, whether it's all one piece or a nut and castle retainer like from the factory.
Engineer.... Or did you merely sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night?

Seriously though, let's not complicate kiwi66's life any more than necessary.
Sure it's theoretically possible that the castle nut might work just fine. It's also possible the height of that castle nut means he won't be lined up for a cotter pin, etc.
And the castle nut is not even close to infinite adjust-ability for a proper torque setting for the wheel bearing. The standard spindle nut and retainer are slightly better
in this regard. That's one of the reasons Ford enhanced the spindle nut design.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Engineer.... Or did you merely sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night?

Seriously though, let's not complicate kiwi66's life any more than necessary.
Sure it's theoretically possible that the castle nut might work just fine. It's also possible the height of that castle nut means he won't be lined up for a cotter pin, etc.
And the castle nut is not even close to infinite adjust-ability for a proper torque setting for the wheel bearing. The standard spindle nut and retainer are slightly better
in this regard.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Good info, thanks for sharing. When stating that they function similarly, I was taking for granted that things like cotter pin availability and castle height were not a concern, because they were already installed on the car and theoretically working. I see your point though, apologies for oversimplifying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts