Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting a 289 in my 65, now I need to put 5 lug brakes on it. I bought a 5 lug set-up from a guy, but it has a bad spindle where the upper ball joint mounts. Where can I get another one? Will the disc brake assembly from a 77 maverick work? Thanks..

·
Registered
332 Posts
do you know what year/make/model the spindle came from?

your best bet is to try and decipher the stamp on the spindle itself...

if you cant i believe you would be safe with a spindle from a 75-80 Granada

only bad thing about the 5 lug conversion is you cant get the spindles at a normal parts store anymore, junkyard is the way to go

or you can buy a complete kit for the swap (google 5lug conversion kit)

a couple helpful links
MustangSteve's GRANADA to MUSTANG DISC BRAKE INSTALLATION INFORMATION
Granada Front Disc Brake Swap for Classic Mustangs

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Be careful buying them online. Make sure to ask for pictures of where the tie rods connect. People try to sell them claiming the tie rod ends are fine, but in fact they have been modified to fit later tie rods. Poorly modified I should say. 65's should have tiny tie rod ends.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
No problem, took me two sets of trusting people to learn that I should pull them myself. That said, I think if you are smarter than I was and ask for pictures, you will be fine. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Check out CSRP, they have complete kits NEW for the price it'd cost to source used spindles and piece together everything.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks latamud, that was the site i was thinking of but wasnt coming to mind....

Pretty good deal for their setup as well, depending on how good a deal you get on your jy parts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Do they have new first gen spindles? I know they were talking about reproducing them at some point....

I think their current kits that have spindles included are Granada based, not OE Mustang.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Do they have new first gen spindles? I know they were talking about reproducing them at some point....

I think their current kits that have spindles included are Granada based, not OE Mustang.
CSRP offers a brand new casting of the Granada-based front disc brakes. They also offer a new Granada-based spindle casting specifically for the '65/'66 Mustangs to correct for its difference in steering arm angle ['65/'66 Mustang track width is 2" narrower than '67-'70 Mustang].

CSRP also offers brand new castings of the '65-'67 K/H 4-pistion front disc brake assemblies.

They also offer brand new castings of the stock '68-'73 Mustang single piston from disc brake assemblies.

They also have a new offering out now to use the '99-'04 SN95 V6/GT twin pistion front disc brake caliper and spec rotor on a Granada-based spindle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts