Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on another section a question "what should I gap my plugs to now that I have pertonix ignitor, wires, and coil" but no answer... if anyone replying to this post knows, any help is appreciated. I have a different problem now. I have a new carb from holley that claim to have pre-adjusted needle and seat and "never have to adjust" but I am wondering if there is a problem... my car stalls when I brake harsh (fast) going from whatever speed to 0... and has a little bit of trouble starting up (needs half a pump or a pump at the gas pedal or else it cranks for a while before starting) Could that be the float that DOES need adjustment or maybe... I was adviced that the vaccum advance is the culprit and I need to change it?!?!. The timing seems to be ok... thats the first thing I checked. Help.

·
Registered
21,070 Posts
Sounds like your float setting is too low. I would think that your choke may need a slight adjustment possible too. Unless your carb was specifically built for your engine, almost no mass produced carb will have spot on calibration. With some fine tuning, it should run really well.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I posted on another section a question "what should I gap my plugs to now that I have pertonix ignitor, wires, and coil" but no answer... if anyone replying to this post knows, any help is appreciated.
Did Pertronix recommend any sort of gap in their literature? If not, I'd be inclined to just leave it at the stock gap, .035"....

I have a new carb from holley that claim to have pre-adjusted needle and seat and "never have to adjust" but I am wondering if there is a problem...
Yes, you believed the Holley B.S. about that series of carbs. There is NO carb on the face of this earth that is guaranteed to work on whatever you bolt it to. Get a vacuum gage and set the idle mixture to highest vacuum in neutral. The carb should have come with some literature about how to adjust this and all the other adjustments necessary on their "no adjustment" carbs...

my car stalls when I brake harsh (fast) going from whatever speed to 0...
Classic symptom of a rear float setting that is too high. When you brake hard, the fuel sloshes forward, out the bowl vent into the venturis. You can install a vent "wistle" that prevents this from happening, if it's not already equipped. I'd check the float levels on both ends, just because...

....and has a little bit of trouble starting up (needs half a pump or a pump at the gas pedal or else it cranks for a while before starting)
All carbureted cars need a pump or two to fire up, nature of the beast.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts