Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 68 mustang with Power (assist) breaks, I think I have a vaccum leak in the booster? The reason that I say this is that when I pinch off the vaccum line going to the booster the car seems to run a whole lot smoother. My question is do I need a new break booster or is there something that I could have done wrong when installing it that would cause this leak, essentially I just want to know if I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one or are there any other areas to explore first?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if the power breaks are working, The car stops but I have to push hard,I don't know how well the power breaks are supposed to work on this thing it's been 5 years since I've driven it(untill now tee hee) and the check valve is inplace... it's a two hosed one, with one of them capped off...? as for adjusting the push rod, well I don't know how, or where it's proper position would be?

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Only thing I could think you could do is remove the booster and hook it up to vacuum with it out and see if it holds vacuum (though Im not sure how well that would workout :) ) . If it holds a vacuum then maybe the push rod is out of adjustment , which I doubt since it was in before . I guess something could have gotten into the booster and has one of the valves stuck open , or it's just rotted internal .
Try vacuum checking it .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts