Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just FYI. A different thread on vac adv canister made me think of posting this...

A while back I had to replace my vac adv canister because of a leaking diaphragm. I wanted to see how they worked, so I cut my old one apart. Here are the pics. This is for an OEM Motorcraft distributor on a 1968 mustang. When I bought the car it had a single ported vac advance canister on it (not sure if that was original or not) so I replaced it with the same style, a Standard Products VC31.

01 - vac adv canister - after cut

02 - vac adv canister - exploded - 1

03 - vac adv canister - exploded - 2

05 - vac adv canister - exploded - 3

06 - vac adv canister - exploded - 4

07 - vac adv diaphram

08 - vac adv adjuster - 1

09 - vac adv adjuster - 2

Attachments

·
Registered
36,486 Posts
Years ago they actually had threaded end so you could change the spring
Spring, spacers, and phenolic center stop. The idea was if your diaphragm failed, you got a new one from Ford and screwed the old stuff into the new one and presto! It was already tuned for your engine. AMK Products used to have kit for this, but they must've run out of some critical part and dropped them.

I'm surprised some entreprising repro outfit hasn't reproe'd the whole OEM advance. Our only choice right now is the lame generic replacement advance. Certainly they've reproduced stuff they will sell just before the end of time.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
^^^^^...or at least some nipple to turn the hose barb into a fitting for the hard tubing.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The spring, spacers, and phenolic center stop, were specific to the application. So just finding an original with a good diaphragm was not usually good enough.
I like this product that WCCC has invented. Not as keen on the price, but if you need original and adjustability, this is the only way I've found to do it.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
It's all virtual now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts