Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Vacuum Advance - Plug

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  LSG 
#1 ·
I do not run the vacuum advance in my Auto-lite Distributor; does anyone know if a plug or cap is available to cover the hole is I was to remove it?

Thanks,

dm289

#6 ·
just disconnect the lever and bend up out of the way or cut it

#8 ·
I assume it's a 65/66 distributor and normally takes the metal vac advance line?
Those are tube nuts on those metal lines. I believe 1/8 tube. Eaton still makes the nuts. (6100X2)
Tube nuts like those are straight thread, not pipe thread. They're 3/8-24.
Try an Edelmann 120300.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies. The reason I do not run the vacuum advance is on the advice of a local speed shop. They set up the advance curve in my distributor and told me to run 16° BTDC and not to use the vacuum advance. The updated distributor felt like I gained 50 HP and the mileage did not change. I was unaware that the vacuum advance arm held the breaker plate, I guess my plan to remove it and make it look closer to the appearance of HIPO distributor will not work.

#11 ·
The '63 289 hp ran a factory distributor housing with the vacuum can on the side. Guts inside distributor was the dual point plate setup. Can itself
was plugged..... looks like a 3/8-24 pan head screw.

#12 ·
Dm289, you need to find another tuner. Yes, a well thoughtout dizzy curve will help power tremendously, but vacuum advance does not cost you any power, but increases fuel economy. There NO downside to running it. Your speed shop is just telling you that they don't know how to set up vacuum advance LSG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.