Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an earlier post I described a problem with the vaccum advance on my 351W. Thinking I may have a vac leak somewhere, I did everything to find one - none found. It pulls a strong, steady 16+ with not even a wiggle on the gauge. But the second I hook the distributor vacuum advance to the carb (Edelbrock 1406) - it INSTANTLY dies and will not restart with the vacuum in place. It pops, spits and backfires, but will not run. I recently installed and ran-in the new cam and lifters (Comp Cams XE 256), and I'm certain all marks and pointers were properly aligned when reassembled. PCV and PB booster lines are secure. I'm about to just disable the vacuum advance and go strictly mechanical advance. BTW, the distributor is a Duraspark run through a MSD Blaster box. Any other suggestions since it appears I have ruled out the vacuum leak.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I haven't been following your problem so this may have been asked already but are you connecting the vacuum advance to the timed port or the full vacuum port on the carb?

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I don't think it's vacuum problem at all. I think the arm for the vacuum advance is touching or rubbing on something inside the distributer, shorting out the distributer primary.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
In your previous post you mentioned that the idle mixture screws have very little influence on the motor. What's the condition of the Edelbrock carb? Those screws should make a HUGE difference if a) the carb is in good mechanical shape and b) you have no vaccum leak.

I'd addess the carb thing first and get that squared away. My bet is it will fix this problem at the same time.

I have an Edlebrock on all 3 of my running Mustangs. Turning the mixture screws in too far or out too far on any of them will kill the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts