Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need a vacuum canister for my 68 fastback with factory air. I can't get a hold of Classic Auto Air to find out if they have any in stock and when it would ship. I'm close to getting my A/C up and running again.

So, my options;

1. An alternative that would fit the hole in the fender? Anyone have suggestions for this?

2. Can I bypass it? I know that during hard acceleration / high speed runs, I may lose vacuum. I do not have power brake, so no worry there.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My original canister was shot, so I mounted a universal one from summit in the same location under the fender. Works just fine. Or you can get a repop from CJ pony parts

Summit universal

Reproduction Canister

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The repo ones from Classic Auto Air ship direct from manufacturer, and I have not been able to speak to anyone there. So, my best best is to go universal. how was mounting the one from summit?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check with NPD, if you call to order it they will tell you if they have it in stock. Never been disappointed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I’ve figured it out. Looks to be 7/32 vacuum line.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Be careful with a Universal one. The Original 68 has two different size nipples and a built in check valve. You need to be sure it fit the hoses you have and has a check valve or you have to run an Inline check valve.

·
Registered
635 Posts
At some point, I plan to get the classic air version, but for now, the PO used this style one, which I think works ok. They mounted on the engine bay side near the original one. No idea if it has a check valve. They left the original one installed, too bad there isn’t an inexpensive rebuild kit out there.

·
Registered
35,533 Posts
CAA may buy them direct from the manufacturer, but I'd guess everyone else does, too.

Or pretty much any Scott Drake dealer-

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At some point, I plan to get the classic air version, but for now, the PO used this style one, which I think works ok. They mounted on the engine bay side near the original one. No idea if it has a check valve. They left the original one installed, too bad there isn’t an inexpensive rebuild kit out there.

I can get that exact one from my local parts shop for $40 Canadian. I’m assuming there would be a check valve in that. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose of having a reservoir.

Has anyone talked to with classic Air? Are they open?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I know these cans are available aftermarket. My son has an 85 F150. It has a larger reservoir canister, much larger than my mustang. It looks about the size of a large quart size metal can. I watched a video where a guy made his own, by cutting the lid off the can with a can opener to remove lid. He then got a large can of V8 (quart or half gallon) and JB welded the old top with valves onto the new juice can. It worked great and looked almost original. I cannot find vid with a quick search...but you get the idea. I don’t know if you have old vac can to work with or not? Just a thought from a poor boy!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know these cans are available aftermarket. My son has an 85 F150. It has a larger reservoir canister, much larger than my mustang. It looks about the size of a large quart size metal can. I watched a video where a guy made his own, by cutting the lid off the can with a can opener to remove lid. He then got a large can of V8 (quart or half gallon) and JB welded the old top with valves onto the new juice can. It worked great and looked almost original. I cannot find vid with a quick search...but you get the idea. I don’t know if you have old vac can to work with or not? Just a thought from a poor boy!
No original canister, but a good idea. If I can't get my hands on a correct one, I will spring for the $40 bucks and get the universal baseball looking one. For now, I'm pretty sure I can bypass it to get the heating A/C controls working. I know it won't be perfect, but I desperately need the water valve to close so it stops pumping hot coolant through the heater core. It's like 95 degrees here these days, don't need even more heat!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
CAA may buy them direct from the manufacturer, but I'd guess everyone else does, too.

Or pretty much any Scott Drake dealer-
I believe CAA is the manufacturer, or at least they commissioned them. Note your first link OriginalAir is CAAs división that sells restoration parts and the CJ pony Ad even identifies the part As a CAA part.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Whatever you get make sure it has ribs. I made the mistake of buying a knock off that didn’t have ribs. The engine crushed it to nothing in about 15 mins.

Reactions: Dans68 and coupster

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Wow, did not know the engine would squash the can like that...

·
Registered
35,507 Posts
Ever consider using one of those aluminum radiator overflow tanks with external check valves on the vacuum lines?

·
Registered
35,533 Posts
I believe CAA is the manufacturer, or at least they commissioned them. Note your first link OriginalAir is CAAs división that sells restoration parts and the CJ pony Ad even identifies the part As a CAA part.
IIRC, these were originally a one-item production by an independent operator. Probably long since bought up. But even if the thing is now sourced only through CAA, that doesn't mean they aren't in stock anywhere else.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
West Coast Classic Couger has a few used working ones
Ive had good luck with them in the past.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got lucky and ended up finding a refurbished one locally.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
IIRC, these were originally a one-item production by an independent operator. Probably long since bought up. But even if the thing is now sourced only through CAA, that doesn't mean they aren't in stock anywhere else.
Very true, but most if not all put a premium on the parts. In all the cases I’ve needed the parts they were cheeper at CAA. Shipping however is not as fast as some places, so when I need it quick Ali call NPD.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
West Coast Classic Couger has a few used working ones
Ive had good luck with them in the past.

WCCC is a first class company. Very good to work with and have some otherwise impossible parts to find.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts