Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had an old stang with AC, so I am now ready for summer with the addition of a new (for me) 70 mach 1.

There is a vacuum hose that goes from the rear firewall vacuum tree to some unit mounted in the passenger side wheel well. This is related to the AC system since there is another hose that goes to a control (looks like a diaphragm type unit) on one of the AC hoses.

What is bothering me is that if you look under the passenger wheel well, there is a something that looks like a coffee can covered with undercoating. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the AC being updated to R12.

What is this unit? and was this done correctly?

I have posted a pic here

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/lori-1/wheel.jpg

Thanks agan,

Tony

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
That's the vacuum can and it's for the a/c system. It has nothing to do with changing to R-1.2.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so then, from the pic, does it look correct as far as the install? Should thsi be covered with undercoatnig? I know the pic is not that clear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds like your vacuum canister. It stores vacuum fromthe engine to operate things like your AC and heater vents in the dash.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Yes, it should have undercoating over it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the info.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Does it have one or two vacuum hoses coming from the canister? My 70 with a/c has a small hose coming from the firewall grommet to the canister and a larger hose from the canister to the vacuum tree on the firewall. The purpose is the same for the aftermarket vacuum cans. With the power brakes, auto trans vacuum modulator, and other accessories the addition of A/C will lower the overall vacuum reading of the motor. The vacuum can increases the overall reading and allows the vacuum accessories to work properly. Guys with big cams get these vacuum canisters (aftermarket ones though) if they want to run power brakes and such. One thing worth noting, you may want to remove the canister and check it for leaks. The one on my car had a large hole in it and created a vacuum leak. That can is exposed to all the water and rocks thrown at it from the front tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts