Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an Edelbrock carb a few weeks ago and I was having problems keeping it running while stopped but in gear. As instructed in past posts I used Carb Cleaner to find the vacuum leak and I did.

Since I just installed the carb with a new gasket my question is what did I do wrong? I saw a cork gasket on at Pep Boys, should I use that instead of the paper ones? If not should I use more than one gasket to insure a better seal? I'll be sure to re-clean the bottom of the carb and the intake manifold better this time.

But wait! That’s not all. I also found leak by the coolant tube that goes from the intake to the fire wall. I assume I can just use some high temperature silicon to seal that. AND I saw a little oil (?) seeping through a bolt on the intake manifold as well. What should I do for that one? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Installing carb: Use paper gasket, with NO gasket glue or sealant of any type. Tighten your carb bolts down in a criss-cross fashion.

Heater hose elbow: Remove it, wrap it with teflon tape, tighten it back down GOOD, re-install the hose and re-fill the radiator (hint: you're going to loose a ton of coolant when you disconnect the heater hose).

Leaky intake bolts: One at a time, remove the offending bolts, coat the threads with a high temp silicone, reinstall the bolt and torque to specs. When done, go back through the "normal" torque sequence and make sure they're all torqued to specs.

Your lucky ... 3 easy problems that shouldn't take much to fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts