Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing a high-pitched whistle around my carb which I assume is a vacuum leak. i recently replaced the carb, cleaned the carb mount, manifold, etc., placed new gaskets when re-installing. I tried spraying WD40 around to see if I could locate the exact point but no luck. I assume the most likely source is the gasket/carb area, and that I need to pull the carb again (aarggh) and place new gaskets. Does this sound right? I sprayed area around vacuum to distributor and at PCV hose with no change in noise/idle, so I assume this isn't it.
TIA,

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Working on mine Saturday and had the same thing, hose from back of carb going to pcv was leaking at carb. Installed new hose and took care of it.

Rusty

A bad day working on the stang is better than a good day at work!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently bought a re-man autolite from holley for my 73 F-250's 460 and had the same whistle. Worse of course at idle. I looked everywhere but couldn't find a leak externally.
Finally I pulled the carb and found that whoever re-assembled the thing must have had a bad day as the bottom plate screws were half in and cross-threaded causing it to leak out one of the corner chambers. I should have taken it back but as impatient as I am I tapped in some new screws, tightened them and it's been fine ever since. The 'new' carb statement reminded me of my saga.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts