Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34,344 Posts
I don't know about the 135* or HSS but I seemed to have best results with 1/8 inch DeWalt split point but I can't seem to find a 1/4 split point. All the local stores have in DeWalt 1/4 are speed tip. I found a 1/4 split point on Amazon and ordered it but what I got was a speed tip. But get this, the product number - DW1316 - is the same. In the pic on Amazon it is split point but on the package they sent me it is speed tip. I emailed DeWalt but haven't heard from them yet.
HSS = "High Speed Steel" or pretty much the standard for a basic metal-cutting bit. Do you have a Fastenal in town? You'll get a quality bit there, not some "hardware store quality" stuff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
HSS = "High Speed Steel" or pretty much the standard for a basic metal-cutting bit. Do you have a Fastenal in town? You'll get a quality bit there, not some "hardware store quality" stuff.
We do have a Fastenal. It's a little was away. What brand bit do they sell or do you recommend? I just looked over the packaging from various bits I've been buying and none say the degree of grind except the cheap stuff I had from Harbor Freight. Their 1/4 is 118* and their 1/8 inch is 135* It was the 135* 1/8 bit I was able to get through these last bolts so maybe the degree is the key. I'll try to find one of those today.

·
Registered
34,344 Posts
We do have a Fastenal. It's a little was away. What brand bit do they sell or do you recommend? I just looked over the packaging from various bits I've been buying and none say the degree of grind except the cheap stuff I had from Harbor Freight. Their 1/4 is 118* and their 1/8 inch is 135* It was the 135* 1/8 bit I was able to get through these last bolts so maybe the degree is the key. I'll try to find one of those today.
They sell a variety of "brands". I usually look for a US made bit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finally success. I found I needed to keep sharpening the drill bits. They cut fine for a couple of MM then went dull. I've got them all tapped out and the manifold back on. The specs call for 13-18 ft lbs torque. Is there any sequence? I didn't see that in the Shop Manual.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts