Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears I may be able to purchase a “never run” 250 engine (1979 vintage). The story is that it was smuggled out of the Romeo engine plant and has been in barn storage all this time. It has some rags stuffed in the intake and exhaust ports and turns over freely. Pics under the valve cover convinced me it has never been run. My original plan was to strip the head and maybe distributor and carb and put them on my 66 200 (mustang). But then it occurred to me I might be forever known as “the guy” that wrecked a valuable NOS engine that should have been left intact for a concourse restoration. I’m assuming because of the year (79) this probably isn’t the case but figured I should check first. It also comes with some extra head gaskets which is the subject of another post. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
5,027 Posts
That engine was only offered in the granada or monarch in 79. So unless you know someone doing a concours restoration either of those two I say go ahead.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
So, are you looking for the value of stolen property to fence it, or what?

Mustang Monthly did a large expose on a guy who had a lot of NOS parts and worked at Ford. The article had a huge retraction when it was noted that he stole the parts.

You might check the state statue of limitations on stolen property.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This is probably more trouble than it's worth, but if the seller freely admits it was "smuggled" out of a Ford plant, that definitely means it's stolen.

If you're seriously considering it, you might want to contact Ford and see if you can get their blessing. It seems silly and it's very likely you wouldn't even get a response. But if you could get documentation from Ford that you have their permission to use an engine that was stolen from them, that could someday be valuable by itself. But today? Worthless.

I personally wouldn't touch it. Too much hassle; not enough payoff.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Lots of responses that are all over the place.

OP, you are not doing yourself any favors by making vague and unsubstantiated comments that the engine may be stolen property.

I'm curious how an engine was smuggled out of the Romeo Plant. Was it in a guys lunch box, "One piece at a time?"

As far as a 250 not being a desirable engine, maybe not to some people, but it is very desirable to other people.

There is a very dedicated and growing group of people who are hot rodding the Falcon Six.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
As far as a 250 not being a desirable engine, maybe not to some people, but it is very desirable to other people.

There is a very dedicated and growing group of people who are hot rodding the Falcon Six.
To be clear, it's worthless to me because it is stolen property. I'd have to get it for nothing because my first act would be to contact Ford, verify its authenticity, then ask them for permission to keep it.

Since they could absolutely say "No", I wouldn't want to have any money at risk if they did.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Is that a "tall"one like the 300's or more like a 200?

"Ya, its just an I6 Mustang but its a famous NOS stolen engine!"

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
5,027 Posts
If you call Ford, please record the conversation. I want to hear their response to a stolen i6 from their engine builder from 41 years ago.....

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We’ll, I’m mostly laughing at all the comments. To be honest, the statement that it was stolen was my assumption. The story as told to me is that it “came” from the Romeo engine plant via some guy who sat on it for 20 years. When he died, his wife remarried and the new husband inherited the motor as it was left in her garage. He sat on it for 20 yrs then decided to get rid of it as part of a larger garage clean out effort. Sorry to get some of you riled up. I hate the thievery as much as the next guy but in my opinion, the harm to FoMoCo , if it was stolen, is long over with. Now if it was a side oiler, thats a different story.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so I followed up with the seller on how this motor may have gotten out of Romeo. He said the original guy (dead now) was as honest as they come and couldn’t imagine he would have stolen anything, let alone a 300 lb engine. He said he thought he’d heard something from his wife about buying it at scrap value back around 1980 but wasn’t sure. I didn’t feel right pressing any further. Guess I’ll leave the story there and people can believe what they want.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,448 Posts
Ok, so I followed up with the seller on how this motor may have gotten out of Romeo. He said the original guy (dead now) was as honest as they come and couldn’t imagine he would have stolen anything, let alone a 300 lb engine. He said he thought he’d heard something from his wife about buying it at scrap value back around 1980 but wasn’t sure. I didn’t feel right pressing any further. Guess I’ll leave the story there and people can believe what they want.
So are you going to buy it and throw it in your vert?? You should. There are a few members running that mill in their car. Extra 50 cubes couldnt hurt.

Chris

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We’ll, it depends …. I’m pulling my 200 head off soon to address worn out valve guides and at least one leaking valve. If the piston bores are in good shape, I’ll put on a rebuilt 200 head I have and run that way while I casually shop for the parts I need to do a 250/T5 conversion. If however, the bores are shot, I’ll be shopping less casually this winter to find this missing conversion parts. I may also just use the 250 head on my existing 200 block but I still need to track down some parts befor I can do that. It’s nice to have options.

Reactions: Badbenz94
1 - 18 of 18 Posts