Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may soon have access to several original head gaskets for a ‘79 250. I’m wondering if they are “correct” for the earlier 200 engines and what sort of value they would have ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NOS may not be the correct description. It appears these gaskets are unused and were removed from the Romeo engine plant back around 79. They have no packaging that would typically accompany an NOS part.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are they the steel shim gaskets, or a more modern composite?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s what I figured. I wasn’t sure it they were superior to currently available gaskets in high compression apps. I posted the same question on the performance 6 site. I only have a poor picture at the moment but appear to be the metal shim original type gaskets.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Those head gaskets will work on all 200 or 250 blocks.

The original steel shim gaskets are a desirable part for someone building a six that has not had the deck or head milled.

Composite head gaskets are much thicker and lower the CR unless the deck/head is milled to compensate.

As always, value is what someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Head gasket technology has come a long way in 50 years....I would never actually use one of those things to rebuild and engine. That being said, it might be a neat wall piece or something. I doubt any head gasket portion could even be seen by a concours judge so even that limited appeal seems questionable.

P.S. Oh, 1979...not 1969....still doesn't change the basic premise though.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
imo no value to any engine builder, will be dried out and brittle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts