Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea what the value of these cars might be? They are both 6 cylinder engines. The 65’Fastback has a 5 lug axle on it but no tranny. Engine is missing several parts. Has lots of rust. Fr. Frame rails look O.K. but the rear rails and trunk floors need to be replaced. What you see it what left of the car. The 66’Coupe looks like it was restored about 10 yrs ago and hasn’t moved since. Probably a cosmetic restoration. The original owner of these cars died not long ago and the lady want to sell them. I want to make here an offer but not sure what would be fare.

·
Registered
207 Posts
this looks like it would be a good "take two make one (fastback)"
not knowing really how much rust...i'd say $3000.00

it's a fastback, but it's still a gamble and alot of work ....what rust didn't you see?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 66 coupe currently and I'm familiar with were to look so heres what I see. The coupe looked good. It runs and has little rust at the frame level.

The Fastback had lots of rust. Front Frame rails and rad. supports are solid. Rockers are also solid. I put my foot on the rocker and gave it a good shove. It was firm. There was rust around the drip rail and the trunk back panel was seperated. No doors bothered me a little. Not sure what happened to them. Console cluster was missing but the coup has (2) in the trunk. I would like to make an offer in the morning.

How about $1,000 bucks?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG Chris,
I just looked at your site and car. You my friend, can build anything. I will get some closer shots tomorrow of the areas that concern me the most. The cover has been keeping the Fastback out of the weather. How about reat frame rails? Are they tuff to put in?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE!!!
I offered her 1,000 and she said that would be fine! I went to Wachovia and brought the money to her before she changed her mind. Have both titles in hand...

Now I have 3 cars! OMG, what am I going to do with 3?
1-65'Fastback and 2-66 Coupes. Fastback needs lost of work.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sell them all on Ebay and make a real nice profit and buy yourself one finished and save yourself a Massive amount of grief.
Al

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya, It would be nice to find one that would save me alot of grief as you say, but they are priced high. Supply and demand theory I guess. These cars are not going to get any cheaper and the ones that are affordable, are going to need alot of work(like mine).

I've only been involved in collecting Mustangs for about 5 years and we these cars, I have owned 5. One of the things I have enjoyed the most about these cars is the "GRIEF" I guess. A day in the my normal life includes Corporate Affairs with my company and dealing with our account base. When I get home, sitting in front of the TV is not an option. So getting in the garage and listening to a little country music, smoking a nice cigar and working on my car is therapeutic.

I have two sons, ages 14 and 15, and I think I'll save a car for each of them. The coupes fit that request so I'll save the Fastback for me.

For the time being, I'll continue to enjoy the hobby and if I can make a few bucks here and there on the side, well, so be it.

Thank you for helping me size up an offer for these cars. Today, I go and pick them up...

Oh yeah, one more questions. Is there something that I can spray on the Fastback to slow down the rust untill I can get to working on it? Its going to be stored inside but I would like to stop any further damage.

Does it may sense to do this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Depending on how long you plan on letting the fastback sit you might consider having it blasted it and epoxy primed. It will cost a few bucks but is your best bet for long term integrity of the metal.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OneCool65 said:
Depending on how long you plan on letting the fastback sit you might consider having it blasted it and epoxy primed. It will cost a few bucks but is your best bet for long term integrity of the metal.
Ahhh but then you'll have started work on the car & wont be sittng on it.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Tubo65fbEFI said:
OneCool65 said:
Ahhh but then you'll have started work on the car & wont be sittng on it.
If it sits too long , there won't be anything left to sit on . Go buy a gallon of rustolieum (spelling?) and shoot it . You'll have to remove all of it later but that's the best I can think of on the cheap .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ospho is what I used to keep the rust from spreading on my Mustang. It comes in a can and you can paint it on with a brush. It is a rust neutralizer.
Kerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts