Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people hate these threads, if so move along. But I came across a solid ‘68 fastback. It’s an s code 390 car with the numbers matching motor in it (supposedly). I don’t think everything is original as the dash, steering, and seats look replaced and it has a fitech tb fi. Also might not be original paint... but overall the car looks solid from pictures and owner says there is no rust. I will obviously have to take a close look at the typical areas when I go see the car.

But bottom line, what’s the value range for a car like this? I’m not a concourse restoration guy, so maybe the number matching motor doesn’t matter? He’s asking $49k, which is a lot. But I know the 67/68 FB is a super hot car right now....

Interested in everyone’s thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
No real way to answer that question without more complete info, of course.
If it is a solid #2, the redo's don't take away much value IMHO and FI can be a positive or negative, depending on what you plan to do with it.
Value could vary based on the factory options to some.
49k could be reasonable, it just depends what it is, from my point view.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
IMHO, if it's rust free, bondo free, and put back together correctly with everything working, it's a proper price. Lots of "ifs."

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Sending from phone so if any pics I don't see.
You note it's an "S code", also say a GT. They made S codes non GT, so is it a documented GT?
Also I don't see any mention of and automatic or standard trans??? Standards are more rare than auto.
If repainted, how old?

·
Vendor
4,067 Posts
If somewhat-modded driver-quality S-code 1968 fastbacks are bringing down close to $50K in today's market, then Jeffrey Epstein must be dodging snowballs in hell... ;)

Just from the low dose of information in the original post, seems awfully steep to me. Would have to see the car.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
That is no more than a $30k car. The paint is not impressive and way too many departures from stock. The value in that car is as an original car.

It could be less than $30k depending on the quality of the body and chassis.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What is the thing in the left (driver's) side front of the engine compartment with the hoses and a couple of gauges?

Harry Z

·
Registered
29 Posts
You should ask for a Marti report and pictures of the door, fender & dash vin, and undercarriage, inside trunk, etc. I don't believe you will find a real 67-68 S-code, 4 speed, GT fastback in driving condition for much under $49k. You could use paint condition, etc to bargain under this. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,166 Posts
The lack of the wood grain on the AC vents/controls makes me think it's not an original ac car....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Marti Report: non AC car that was originally meadowlark yellow with blackout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
It appears to be a real GT 390 4 speed with interior Decor Group, but not factory air. However the seller needs to prove this Marti report is for this car with pictures of the 3 VIN's.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
To me it looks like a solid "driver" and, if you ask me, would look great back in its original color. Nicely optioned, too. If I were looking for a originally yellow '68 and it is TRULY rust-free and shows know signs of prior heavy collision damage (meaning I don't have to start replacing poorly-repaired sheet metal) then I'd probably be "in" at $28,000, knowing it's probably going to take another $20-25k to put it into what I'd consider "perfect" condition.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts