Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm headin' home to work on the car, and hopefully the engine this weekend. Allow me to give you guys a rundown on my problems with adjusting the valves...

I use the "How to Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines" book and the directions in it to adjust the valves... you put the timing at 0 (or is it 90' off, I don't remember... I do whatever the book says... I don't have it with me offhand) and tighten down the corresponding valves... Go to the next mark, tighten those, and then go to the next and tighten those... I tighten them to the point where you can't really turn the pushrod and the rocker on the pedestal does not move at all... So I go through all 3 checks, and then turn it back to the original starting point... the first set of rockers wiggle! it's as though something loosened up and the rockers are loose again? What's going on? I've checked to make sure that they aren't pulling out, so that's not the case.. (besides, they're screw in ones!)

Ummm... Did I tighten them too much? Should I tighten them to the point where the pushrod can't move up and down and let there be some wiggle in the rocker? I assume I'm going to have to retighten things when I get the engine going since this isn't working well.. Would it be a good bet to have it just enough tight so the pushrod won't move laterally (but will be allowed to rotate bout it's long axis?)

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=402106

PLEASE ANSWER THIS: That link will have the original message I posted in regards to my problem. I guess I'm just looking for some advice as to... is my idea for just getting 'em "tight enough" a good one, and then tighten the rest of the way when the engine is running, or do I have a bigger problem because something tends to "back off" like that?

G

·
0 Posts
Rich - Just curious, but after you've come back around to the starting point, what's the clearance you get with a feeler gauge? Is it excessive?

·
Registered
680 Posts
O.K., lets see if I can screw you up any more...
You have Hydr. lifters. They require oil to work properly. When you adjust the valves, you want to compress the springs inside the lifters about half way. This leaves room for the oil. You want to make sure the valve you are getting ready to adjust is fully closed. Them, tighten it down till you can still roll the push rod, but, feel no up and down movement. Now take it about another 1/2 turn. This preloads the lifter.(compresses the spring inside the lifter about half way)
You might have some rocker arms a little loose, when you are done. That doesn't matter, at this point. Remember, oil will fill the lifter, and tighten things up.
This should be close enough to get the motor running. After you start it up, and let it fast idke for about 15 to 30 minutes, to break in the cam, then you can readjust the valves....
Hope I helped a little.......

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, you answered exactly what I wanted to hear... So a little motion is ok, but no up down motion (hence the pushrod would be coming off of the lifter) I gotcha there.

So I'll go back through, do it again, and make sure I can still roll things and then half more tighten, and call it good for now... I figured I'd have to do it after the engine was running, i just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting some problems while I was at it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clearance... where would I be measuring that at? You mean how much can I move the pushrod up and down? I do'nt think any actually... if anything the pushrod can turn more freely about it's long axis, and the rocker is a little loose... that's it...

Should I assume this tightening of the rocker, followed by it appearing more "loose" be perhaps the lifter compressing a bit more as it goes around thereby giving the rocker a little more "leeway?" once the lifter fills with oil, gets going and tightens up, it shouldn't compress or release as much, and when I tighten things down, it should stay tight?

G

·
0 Posts
clearance... where would I be measuring that at?

I was thinking of the rocker-to-valve clearance, with a feeler gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts