Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set a stock C-code 289's valves via the three-crank-rotations method in Tom Monroe's book. Engine runs OK but I need to do a final adjust on the valves. Do I back off each one until it begins to lightly clatter and then go 1/2 or 3/4 of a turn to tighten? What's best? Does this need to be done in any sort of sequence or can I just go right down the line?

Also, the exhaust makes alot of noise, even with the muffler in place. Would this occur if the valves were not yet set correctly?

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Yup, unscrew the valves until (one at a time) until you hear a slight tick, then tighten slowly 1/4 turn at a time until the tick disappears, then tighten an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Personally, I have a good feel and tell where the engine likes and you will be able to also after a few trys.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I'll just add to be sure to allow for the oil that will be coming out of the valvetrain parts...it can make a mess if not contained. We always used an old set of valve covers with the tops cut out and had some clips that deflected the oil from the rocker holes downward...

Valve lash/pre-load shouldn't have a marked effect on exhaust note in a stock-cammed engine. Ignition timing can though...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Pat is correct. Additionally, much larger messes can be obtained if the motor has a high volume oil pump.

I would concur and recommend the old valve cover with the cutout AND the clips. Still, I bet you will make a mess... don't ask me how I know...

Additionally, I don't remember what the valve lash setting should be, shop manual should state.

G

·
0 Posts
I didn't have the valve covers with the hole but I did use a tip (by JohnPro I think) from the lost but not forgotten old forum.

If you take one of the cardboard flats that come under a case of soda and cut it in half it can be used to catch most of the flying oil.

The flats are about the length of the 289 head and when cut in half they can be rested against the shock tower to divert the errant oil back to where it should be.

It worked well although the cut valve covers would be better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
hahah..I tried that method with cardboard and it slipped and touched the headers and after time caught on fire!! Grabbed the fire extinguisher and put it out. The wife drove up about that time and I'm standing there in shock with a smoke filled garage and a Mustang that looks like it was rolled in flour. I still find that &@$! powder in cracks every know and then. I use the old valves with holes cut out now. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts