Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the valve covers on my 289 with some mid 80's "Powered By Ford" aluminum valve covers. My question is should I use cork or rubber gaskets? Does one have a particular function over the other? thanks, Todd.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I prefer the rubber gaskets, just because I think they achieve a tighter seal than cork, especially important for valve covers.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I think it's really personal preference. I've used both. If you tend to remove your covers a lot (say to adjust valves) go with the rubber, they are somewhat reuseable. You'll find people will swear that one is better than the other. Try one this time, and the other next time. Regardless which you use, correct preperation is important.....flat, clean sealing surfaces on both the heads and the covers.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I use cork. I apply sealant to the valve cover side (which is where your leaks typically come from).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the insight. I'm going to try the rubber ones and see what happens. Todd.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Todd,

You might use the cork ones and glue them to the valvecover with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. No adhesive between them and the cylinder head though. Most of the time, leaks are due to overtightening. I have been doing this for years with no leaks and they come right off and out of your way when you need in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts